Ground loop or Pond loop

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Eric D, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Eric D

Eric D Member

Message Signature Not Showing

Is there something wrong with the Forum software or is the message signature feature turned off? :confused:

Thanks,

Eric D

2. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Eric,

I did as you suggested, logged out and looked at the forum. My sig line was still visible.
    I even visited the forum on my wife's computer, my sig line was still there.

Have you checked the box in your user options where you can check to show sig lines?

[​IMG]

I have included a screen shot in this post. Do you see a screen shot ?

Not trying to be a pest here, just trying to figure this out:):)

3. Eric D

Eric D Member

I can See Them Now!!!

Boy! Do I feel stupid!! :eek: I see the signature now!! :eek:

Thanks Dewayne for following through and helping me get this setup right. I really had no idea I needed to turn on this feature. Quite frankly I didn’t realize I was the one with the issue…da!

Thanks again,:rolleyes:

Eric D

4. Palace GeoThermal

Good, now go and create a sig line for yourself :D:D:D

5. Sorry guys, I inadvertently had signatures turned on. Signatures are available for GHPC members only.

6. Palace GeoThermal

Can we turn them on by default for members. Right now they are off by default. As this thread shows, it is obvious how to turn them on.

7. Palace GeoThermal

It looks like now they are turned off for everybody. Yesterday I could see them when logged in, today I can't.

8. Eric D

Eric D Member

Phil,

If you see this message, the signature lines are showing once again, but the formatting commands are showing as text, not formatting as they should. Here is an example:

Test

Ok, UPDATE of this post: I'm seeing the signature at the end of postings, however the formatting comands in the signature line show as text. Hope this makes since???

9. Eric,

With signatures turned off none of the bbc code will function.

10. Palace GeoThermal

Phil, since these forums are barely used, how about making them more attractive to users by giving us more features instead of taking features away?

11. Rick

Rick New Member

We are planning an addition to our house with geothermal heat and air conditioning for the whole house. We are about 15 miles east of Charlottesville, VA. We have 40 acres with open land near the house and a 1 acre pond about 250 feet away from the house. At its deepest point the pond is 8 feet deep. From an efficiency stand point which is better for the closed loops, the pond or ground. I realize it may be cheaper to put loops in the pond but which is more efficient. Or would a hybrid system be better.
    Rick

12. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Lots to think about and both can be sorted out.

One item to keep in mind is your pond will always be warmer than the ground during cooling season and cooler than the ground during heating season.

13. Palace GeoThermal

A ground loop can give you better efficiency. The question is will the additional efficiency of the ground loop ever payback the additional cost.

14. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

equipment I've dealt with suggests a minimum average depth of 8'.
    Doesn't sound like you qualify.
    One good hot droughty summer and you'll be sorry.
    How many contractors have suggested this path to you?
    Joe

15. Rick

Rick New Member

Can you mix loop types? I have a water well that I am have to abandon because it would be in the new addition and the health dept does not like that. I was thinking perhaps I could put a loop down it before it was sealed up. Would this work with the other loops being in the ground or pond?

16. Rick

Rick New Member

I am still waiting for the architect to finalize the plans before I talked to contractors. I have been trying to explore my options. I did not realize that it was an 8' average depth. That makes for a pretty deep pond. Thanks for the information.

17. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Not out of the question, but it will take a clever installer and possibly a grout pump dependint on the nature and depth of the well.
    J

18. gabby

gabby Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Everything mentioned so far are valid concerns.

You are fortunate to have a state that has specific data for geo applications.
    If you use internet explorer the map points should be active, they aren’t with my firefox.

http://www.geo4va.vt.edu/indexGeo4VA.htm

45N1 is for Louisa County
    41H3 is Buckingham County
    41Q1 is Rockingham County

If you will notice there is a map about water temperatures at different depths. How representative they are will be determined by two things; the type of pond, the water temperature inflows.
    If the pond is merely a catch basin for runoff water, no water source but rain water runoff, then the depth is probably too shallow. If the pond is spring fed with a large volume of water at closer to ground water temperatures at 30’, then a shallow pond may be doable.

You also have data concerning soil types which will determine the total loop length needed if you decide to go horizontal. Mixing horizontal and vertical, or vertical and pond loops is a balancing act of flows that need to be performed by a geo designer to maintain turbulence, and balanced flow rates through each type of install. Not for a novice like myself.

Also....look into the cost of increasing the pond depth to 12 feet as an alternative to horizontal trenches, especially if you have a spring or external water source maintaining the pond level.

19. Rick

Rick New Member

Gabby, Thanks that is a very interesting website. The reference points worked in IE but the plot explanation did not.
    The pond is fed by a spring but it only maintains the level during the summer without any outflow unless it is really dry. I am not sure that I want to disturb the fish in the pond to make it deeper but it is a thought. It is good to know that this is not going to be doable in case someone tries to tell me to put in pond loops.
    I do not know whether you had seen this USDA web site Web Soil Survey. http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/HomePage.htm It has the soil types for a region that you select. For our place it has a soil type that has a profile of sandy loam on top of a clay layer.
    Thanks for your information.
    Rick

20. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I will be inside the beltway around

Christmas. Have tools do travel. I can stop by and pick up Gabby.

It is late, will check the links later. Back to Valley City tomorrow.