GeoThermal with 2000 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Systems' started by Guest, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You guys are over looking one thing.....you won't be freezing any water with a heat pump.

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Well, he could use 100% methanol instead of water, and then light it and use it as supplement heat when he ran out of thermal capacity after 3 days:D:D

3. Looby

Looby Member Forum Leader

My vote goes to 50% ethanol. 2000 gallons of Stoli 100 on tap
    would keep me warm at least until mid February.

4. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

If he did manage to freeze the water in the tank using some form of indirect exchange, he would learn that ice is a really poor conductor relative to liquid, even in a laminar flow situation.

I once froze a garbage can full of water for an ice sculpture wanna-be project...it took a week for the water in the middle to freeze solid.

Finally, after the water in a concrete tank is frozen solid, look for it to diasappear into the ground upon thawing, since the walls of the concrete tank will likely have cracked.

5. dgbair

dgbair Just a hobby Forum Leader

Hey, do you have any pictures of that ice sculpture :D

6. Jimemitchellsr

Jimemitchellsr New Member

YOU ARE KIDDING, I HOPE. If not, I suggest you add this to the Urban Legends forum.
    Let the water flow thru your geothermal HP stop during the heat cycle and that sucker will freeze! Thank goodness, your unit will shut down before harm is done. For you highly technical guys who think the unit will shut down "before" the freeze temp is reached, I submit the water remaining in the loop is super cooled and will freeze up if water is not restored asap. Believe me, because mine did it.
    Papagator:eek:

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I think that's what Dewayne was getting at - the loop water would freeze in the unit long before it started freezing water in the tank

8. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes ..Thanks for helping me out there Curt