Hi all - sorry for my first post to be such a long one! So much background information that I think is necessary for the discussion. I am in the difficult spot of trying to help my mother out with her geothermal system – she is about 2 hours away and is passing along information from the technicians “grapevine style” I’m sure. Her system is old. Probably 20 years old. But being on limited income as a retiree, replacement is daunting. So she has been trying to get it fixed. The primary symptom – a solenoid valve is repeatedly failing and letting the well pump run constantly whether the unit is running or not. This valve just failed for the 3rd time – the new valves have been lasting approximately one month. First failure – tech said it was the valve and replaced it. It was an old valve. No big deal. Second failure – tech said it failed again because of orange slime in her well. Told her to have it “treated” and then he would return and replace the valve. Mom had her well guy treat the iron bacteria via chlorine shock. She had to refrain from using the geothermal for 48 hours while the chlorine did its work. Well man came back after the 48 hours and said her 200 foot well has no rust remaining. Tech replaced the valve. Third failure – just happened yesterday. Now the tech is telling her that his plumbing supply house is telling him that the valve they have been selling him was the wrong one and the “correct” one is about twice as much. So he wants to replace the valve with this higher priced one. The concern is obviously, pay twice as much, get the same result in ~30 days. So rather than getting into a bunch of the thoughts in my head, I wanted to reach out to the experts and get your opinion. The reality is, the only thing mom is “out” by just letting the well run is the power cost to run the pump – and the chance that the well runs dry. The discharge point is into the river so there isn’t an issue with getting rid of the water. And it is simply well water so there shouldn't be an environmental issue created. So, what say the experts? Thanks in advance!!