Colorado Geothermal not cooling

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Olathe, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Olathe

Olathe New Member

Current indoor temperature is 81, heat/cool settings are set to 65/71 respectively.
    I can hear and feel the blower working, but the air does not feel cold.
    Today was in the 90's, but that should not have mattered.
    I have turned the fan from "auto" to "on" and back.
    I have checked the breakers- and they are fine.
    Any suggestions?

2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

Your compressor has most probably locked out on an internal safety. If so, the compressor is disabled and the fan continues to run.

You can try to reset by either setting the system to OFF at the thermostat momentarily then back on. Or disconnect power to the unit momentarily. Warning if you do this, in some cases, the lockout code if it exists may be lost. Technicians can use this code to diagnose the cause of the lockout.

It is your choice. If you reset the lockout it may work or lockout again. If it locks out again do NOT reset. You maybe at risk of damaging the unit.

In any case, I believe you should call in a technician, preferably the original installer or someone who has been trained with your brand of equipment.

3. Deuce

Deuce Member

I would check the condensate drain to see if it is clogged.
    I had this happen when my unit was about 5 months old. Easy fix.

4. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Agreed, clogged condensate drain is usually the most common culprit in the A/C season. Be careful, live wires at 240 volts inside the open unit.

5. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

duct tape a Shop-Vac hose to the condensate drain outlet and let-er-rip.

Could be a capacitor - relatively inexpensive part easy to replace, but getting it right needs a competent tech (The scary lethal voltages can be well above 240 at certain times / places around the capacitor.