North Carolina Geothermal Not Constantly Cooling

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mlcooke, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Mlcooke

Mlcooke New Member

Hey everyone. Been in our current home for a little over 3 years now. The heating and air is ran off of a geothermal unit under the house. I know VERY little about this system but it is driving me insane! Last summer and now this summer, it starts the summer off cooling very good then 2-3 weeks in it just starts blowing room temperature air. I've checked all the usual things, filters, water pump, etc. but for some reason can't find the issue. I've 2 different companies come out and look at it. They've refilled the coolant and, according to them, thoroughly went through the system and can't find anything wrong. I found online someone saying the water solenoid valve could have gone out and that you could manually open it to get it cooling again. I can't find a valve like the one I keep seeing online (TACO Valve). I'm attaching a picture of the valve coming off of the water out. Anyone know what this valve is? And PLEASE any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

You say the 2 companies you had look at your system refilled the coolant. What coolant? The refrigerant or the water side coolant? Refilling refrigerant multiple implies you have a high pressure system leak. Have any repairs been made to fix the leak? If you are talking about the water side, that implies you have a closed loop system. But a closed loop system doesn't need a solenoid valve. If you have a solenoid valve on the water side, that implies you have an open loop system. The valve you have posted appears to be some type of solenoid valve which would imply you have an open loop system (well pump providing source of water?). Where does the water coming out of the unit go? Dump back into a well or somewhere outside? If that solenoid valve isn't opening, then your unit should trip out on high head pressure pretty quickly in cooling mode. In cooling mode, the discharge water should be getting warm. If that valve is open, then the pipes on both sides of that valve will be warm if water is flowing through it.

Are you getting any error codes or LEDs on the unit or thermostat telling you something is wrong? Did the 2 companies you had look at the system provide any report showing entering and leaving water temperatures, differential pressure, flow rates, etc.?

Please complete the troubleshooting checklist to the best of your ability so that we are not shooting in the dark trying to provide info.

https://www.geoexchange.org/forum/t...t-pump-system-troubleshooting-checklist.3080/

3. Mlcooke

Mlcooke New Member

Arkie6, thank you for your reply. The first ones to come out did not fill the refrigerant, however, the second one said he topped it off. So to my knowledge there is no leak. The solenoid valve in the picture is on the water out line. I'm assuming it is an open loop system due to this. There is a well pump pumping water to the system. The water that comes out of the system goes into a sump looking drainage in the front yard. There is a grate with a sewage looking drainage in the front yard. There is a white pvc pipe that is constantly pouring water into that drainage while the system is running. Which here recently seems to be all the time. I'll cut it off for about 30min - `1hr at a time to try to keep it from freezing over. Plus doing that actually lets it start cooling again for about 30 minutes. I'm assuming the solenoid valve is working because as I said, it's on the water out side and it is constantly putting out water. I have a Nest Thermostat and am not showing any error codes. The 2 companies that took a look did not provide any reports. I'm thinking maybe I can call to get those if needed.
    Below are the answers, to the best of my limited knowledge, to the troubleshooting checklist. I have also attached some more pictures.

1. New Bern, NC
    2. No idea
    3. ClimateMaster TSH042AGC00JRSS
    4. Open Loop
    5. ??
    6. N/A
    7. N/A
    8. N/A
    9. Installer says the unit may be too small for the house. House downstairs is 2200 sqft.
    10. Don't know but light bill has jumped $100+ in the past 2 months. Same last summer.
    Sheet.jpg
    Sheet2.jpg

Attached Files:

4. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

What is freezing over? Where are you seeing ice?

5. Mlcooke

Mlcooke New Member

I haven't seen any ice but I was told that if it constantly runs then the compressor could possibly freeze over. But no, I have not seen any ice.