Maryland Geothermal Heat Pump horribly inefficient

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Mosca, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Peter Mosca

Peter Mosca New Member

I bought a new house just before winter last year with a geothermal heat pump, which was a major factor in my purchase decision. However, my winter bills were through the roof as the heat pump would switch to auxiliary heat when it got below 50 degrees outside.

My electric company provides comparisons with similar homes in my area, and my home uses about twice the electricity of comparable 'average houses', and several times more than comparable 'efficient houses' in my area both summer and winter. My house is less than 10 years old and is well insulated. I've had service-people who maintain geothermal come out several times, and they assure me that everything is working properly. In the winter I keep the thermostat in the upper 60s, and in the summer it's set to 75.

Is this typical of geothermal systems? I'm considering ripping it out and paying for a gas-line and gas heat, but that will cost me a lot of money. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

It may be working properly but is not being controlled properly. Not typical at all.

No reason at all aux should be on at 50*F outside. The thermostat is usually what controls the aux heat. 3 stage heat and 2 stage cool tstat is a must.

Tell us more about the system.

Is it cooling the house ok?

While you might be using twice the electric in the winter, your neighbors are paying an oil bill or gas bill.

3. Peter Mosca

Peter Mosca New Member

Thanks for responding. I'll need to do a bit more research on the type of system it is. I know it uses water rather than air for the geothermal part.

The cooling is mediocre, and my electric bills are also much higher than comparable houses in the the summer. I would say it can cool to about 12-13 degrees cooler than the outside air.

As for the winter, that's a good point that other homes are likely heating with gas. Still, my electric bill for winter months was between $1100 and $1600 per month. I live in the mid-Atlantic, which doesn't have very cold winters.

4. nc73

nc73 Member

Insufficient data, cannot process.