Minnesota Geofinity(Modine) Atlas 066 Combi Low Pres Heatpump cutout

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by xltsp8, Dec 31, 2014.

1. xltsp8

xltsp8 New Member

Hello all I've had this issue every fall since 2012. Now its happening when I need heat the most. I'm going to explain as best as I can. Not an expert so please bare with me.
    Had a Geofinity Atlas 066 installed in Dec 2011 after my Econar took a crap. I own a 3800 sq ft house just north of the twin cities. I have air ducts on all 3 floors with radiant in the basement and 1000 sq ft garage. I keep my house at 66 degrees garage at 40. I had air in my radiant lines every fall and had to add some water to bump the pressure back up to 18 psi.
    Two days ago I woke up and it was 60 degrees in my house message on the Geo said emergency low cut out so of course the fan ran cold air through the house. Fluid comes out with the air on a vent way up high directly above the buffer tank. By the way this stuff only happens when the garage floor is turned on. Pressure drops to 0. Can't find any leaks anywhere. This explanation is awful I know. I have a labor and parts warranty on this thing but I feel like people are just band air fixing my problem and I'm tired of it breaking so I'd like to figure it out. thanks guys.

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

A common issue I have noted around here is bad makeup water plumbing.

You need a backflow preventor, pressure reducing valve, air seperator, and expansion tank. Without the components functioning properly, as the system heats, the hot expanding water escapes out a tank pressure valve or such. Then, with no makeup water, air is often pulled back in either through the valve or through air vents. Eventually a system operating under suction only but pulls air in to the system.

Check your makeup water.

I'm assuming you have a buffer tank.

3. xltsp8

xltsp8 New Member

How do I go about checking makeup water? I have an expansion tank, buffer tank, some sort of valve way up high where the fluid comes squirting out, not sure on the other components you mentioned. Now my wife just called informing me even with all radiant heat off the system is cutting out. thanks much for the quick reply

4. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

It does not sound like you have make up water. Are you rushing home?

Spent a new years eve bleeding a system by phone from Cleveland to NJ.

Call if you need help.

Mark

5. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Maybe post a pic?

6. xltsp8

xltsp8 New Member

wow thank you so much for your responses and leaving phone numbers on new years? you guys are so nice! my buffer tank is leaking fluid out the bottom...i'm guessing thats my issue...i had originally thought that was just stuff that had leaked on top of the tank from the valve above and just kept leaking down the sides onto the floor...but I cleaned everything last night turned off the radiant and this morning I wake up to fluid on the floor...no more fluid on top of the tank or side of the tank...i took a picture and sent to the plumber...hopefully thats it...that could explain everything correct?

7. heatoldhome

heatoldhome Geo Student Forum Leader

Yes that could explain it. Might want to have the water quality in the system tested.

8. xltsp8

xltsp8 New Member

what would water quality have to do with a leaky buffer tank? my plumber changed out the up high valve added some refrigerant and called it a day...said the leak was from everything that leaked out previously sitting under the tank...suppose to get cold on sunday see how it goes....thanks again guys...stay tuned...might be back on here sunday night with a locked out heat pump

9. heatoldhome

heatoldhome Geo Student Forum Leader

Water with a incorrect PH level tends to "eat" metal. Depending on what your buffer tank is made of it can "eat" the tank. Glad it was a easy fix!