GeoComfort GXT Series not cooling

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sarah A, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

I had a GeoComfort GXT Series unit installed about 3 years ago to heat & cool my home. I didn't have any issues with it until recently when it failed to cool my home. I was told all I needed to do was to maintain the filters & keep them clean, which I've done. It has good air flow through the vents & good suction in what I think is the cool air vent. The fan is constantly running to reach the desired temp, which I only change within a 2 degree difference when adjusting. There is also a random, almost electric, shocking noise, I hear through the vent. the unit sets almost directly underneath it in my basement. Also, beside the "On" switch on the unit, the light is Orange & I remember it always being Green. The air coming from the vents isn't as warm as the heat would be or as cool as the air should be. I shut the entire unit down, hoping it would "reset" itself but nothing changed.
    There's no water, freezing or visible condensation on or near the unit. I'm not sure what I can or should check. I did contact the installer which agreed to come out for $150 for the first hour. I really can't afford that & would appreciate any insight that may help. Someone did mention it could be the TXV & it may be stuck. is that possible & if so, something I can check myself?

2. Bergy

Bergy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

What "On" switch are you referring to? A GXT only has LED's inside the control box, not visible unless
    the box is opened. What is the full model number? Can you open the control box and see which LED is flashing? It may be as simple as a clogged drain line...

Bergy

Sarah A likes this.
  3. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

The full model # is GTX048A11MM1CSS. The "On" switch I'm referring to is located directly next to the door panel to remove & clean the filters. It's labeled with a straight line | & an O. I'm assuming it means opened or closed circuit. Sorry my terminology is off. I really don't know much about it & I'm not sure how to access the control box.

4. Bergy

Sarah,

I assume you mean GXT, not GTX... Can you post some pics of the unit and the switch? As far as I know,
    GeoComfort has never has an "On/Off" switch on their units. Could you please post the serial number also?

Bergy

5. Bergy

OK... I think I know what switch you are referring to. You must have an Electronic Air Filter.
    If so, the switch has nothing to do with the Geo, it only powers the Electronic Air Filter.

6. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

I believe so and that's all I was told I needed to maintain. So, the now orange light that is usually green near that switch doesn't have anything to do with it not cooling properly?

7. Bergy

No, The Pre-filters should be cleaned monthly and the main elements twice a year. Can you post some pics?

8. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

Attached Files:

9. Bergy

"There is also a random, almost electric, shocking noise, I hear through the vent."

That noise is the Electronic Air Filter doing it's job. Could you post the serial number?
    Where are you located?

Bergy

10. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

I'm located in Oakland, Md. The serial # is M10100905

11. Bergy

Sarah,

I will talk with someone next week about your system. I am concerned about the air filter right against the Geo..
    The air flow across the air coil may not be very good.

12. Bergy

Sarah,

Have you ever cleaned the drain trap? In the second pic it looks rather dark. The trap is just below the filter, it has three red caps on it.
    Try this, take the brush with the long blue handle, open the two red caps closest to the side of the unit and run the brush horizontally
    into the side of the unit(back & forth several times). Run the brush vertically down into the "U" bend several times and put the caps back on.
    Then find the circuit breakers for the unit and shut them off for several seconds. Turn them back on, set your stat so it is calling for cooling,
    give it five minutes and see if it starts back up.

Bergy

Sarah A likes this.
  13. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

Thank ypu

14. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

No, I've never attempted to clean the drain trap but will do as you suggested and let you know. Thanks so much

15. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

I did as you suggested & it seems to be working fine. there was also a vent on the roof that had been pushed shut. I'm assuming from the heavy snowfall we had last winter. Thank you so much for your help. I would of been really irritated paying someone $150 to come out & clean the trap especially since I specifically asked about it when it was installed & they said I wouldn't have to worry about it. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what these guys do but if I can fix it myself, I'm all for it.
    Thanks again for your help!!

16. Bergy

Your welcome. Hopefully that is the whole problem. I will write some more as I get the information needed
    about the location of the filter.

Bergy

17. Bergy

Sarah,

Could you please repost the serial number? That is showing as an invalid number. Thanks

Bergy

18. Henningfeld

Henningfeld New Member