Ohio Geo Proposal

Discussion in 'Quotes and Proposals' started by j0sh441, Jul 21, 2016.

1. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Not good. You loose another 25-30% of capacity due to the upper and lower pipe stealing heat from each other, compared to a single circuit . You already loosing with the thicker pipe. Adding it all up you loose all your safety margins, and possibly more. Heat is coming mainly from below in the winter, and the lower pipe will take heat out and will allow lesser heat to go up to the upper pipe.

Plan on going with 6 trenches.......7ft deep, one pipe flat on the bottom.

2. j0sh441

j0sh441 Member

I'm not sure how 50k btu of heating is gping to be enough. The gas furnace in the basement is 75k btu.

3. docjenser

The 4 ton Climatemaster you just purchased has what capacity? Less than 40,000 Btus at 32F entering water temp.

I just installed a 23 ton system. The existing boiler had 960,000 BTUs. Long time ago we evolved from sizing our systems by looking at the nameplate capacity of the existing equipment.

4. j0sh441

j0sh441 Member

So are you saying run the pipe out 250 keep it on the bottom, u bend and then run the return back on the other side of the trench (also on the bottom)? Do this with each trench instead of running one up the side and then the return 2 ft on top of it coming back? 1 circuit per trench?

5. docjenser

That is correct

6. j0sh441

j0sh441 Member

So my loads are 53,165 btu heating and 32,681 cooling.

Annual: heating=69.3 million btu
    Cooling=27.6 million btu
    Hot water 24.2 million btu

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  7. mtrentw

mtrentw Active Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

This is almost like saying, I am not sure how a 268 Horsepower Camry will be enough when I currently have a 412 Horsepower Mustang.
    There may be occasion and instances where 412 HP is needed, and it'll get you up to highway speed quicker, but 268 HP will meet 99% of your need. Add electric aux heat strips for the little bit where you need more

8. docjenser

Sounds like a 4 ton to me. You heat pump is good, plus CM is a good brand, now all you need is feeding your heat pump with the right amount of water at the right temperature. Plus making sure the ductwork is ok, like everywhere.

Just your loop and loop pumping needs some attention to detail, as outlined above.

9. j0sh441

j0sh441 Member

The flow center is pre assembled. Can I somehow shut one of the pumps off? Or do I have to take it completely out? Can this be done?

10. docjenser

It is usually not advisable to pump through a disabled pump, but people are doing it all the time. Yes, you can take it completely out.

A single 26-99 will fulfill all your pumping needs.

11. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

One can buy a blank off plate to stop the flood of water to the basement floor after removing the offending pump.

12. j0sh441

j0sh441 Member

Well after 2 days. The earth loop is complete. I'm ready to move to the inside portion of the install.