Indiana GEO Out line repair with new Valves.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by IndyCamper, Sep 13, 2019.

  1. IndyCamper

    IndyCamper New Member

    Question regarding some maintenance on my open loop GEO. I have a 3 ton ClimateMaster and I have developed a leak at a PVC ball valve in the outlet side. I have also noticed a leak in my TACO valve. I will be replace the TACO valve and ball valve. Here is my question .... the ball valve was positioned in a way to restrict flow. The ball valve is before the TACO valve. When replacing the leaking components, I don't want to throttle the ball valve to create the restriction. What I would like to do is place a restrictor valve on the exit of the TACO valve. Like this:

    GEO Out----> Ball Valve (open) --->TACO--->restrictor (Dole valve or similar @ 9 GPM) ---> Pond

    I was told by ClimateMaster my unit was a 3 Ton with 3GPM flow per ton. Will this setup work? I understand a Dole valve could be noisy, so alternatives recommendations are welcome. Thank!
  2. geoxne

    geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

    Open loop only requires 1.5 GPM per ton if entering water is above 50F. Do not pump more than you have to. Choose your flow controller accordingly.

    Water noise can be controlled. Any valve or fitting can make noise if there is a pressure drop greater than 8psi. You can lower the pressure of the entering water and/or raise the pressure of the discharge line. I usually place a ball valve after the flow restrictor and adjust until the sound is minimized at the flow restrictor. This helps spread the pressure drop across several components.
  3. IndyCamper

    IndyCamper New Member

    So from your comments, 1.5 GPM per ton is a standard number for most GEO's in open loop?

    Also, what types of restrictors are popular?

    I would also like to know if my control valve can me monitored for internal leaks (valves not closing). Can I set up permanent gauges or flow meters in the line that can tell me my control valve is not closing?
  4. geoxne

    geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

    You mentioned Dole. I use Hays Measurflo 2305
    That is a tough one. Small leaks will not be noticeable with gauges or flow meters. You might be better off putting in two control valves in series as a fail safe. Which model of Taco valve do you have now?
  5. IndyCamper

    IndyCamper New Member

    I am replacing my Taco with a new Taco geo-sentry. I’m not to worried about leakage through the Valve. Just a general question.

    However, I am installing a Dole valve or similar. ClimateMaster emailed me stating my unit, Tranquillity 27 TTV038AGC01ARKS, is a 3 ton unit which requires 3 gpm per ton. That would be total 9 gpm. Contradicting that stat was an conversation I had from a local GEO service tech stating I would need 6 gpm. So I am a little confused as to what I really need.

    As you know, these restrictive valves are fixed values so I want to get it right the first time.


Share This Page