Geo heat pump replacement questions

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JohnF, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

John

That is his cost.

2. JohnF

JohnF New Member

Just to close out this thread, I have installed the 2 ton CM TT27 in the basement. It works great in the test runs, with the comfty weather we've been having in NJ lately it didn't get much use yet. However, while I was waiting for the basement unit to come in, the compressor in the attic unit went out too, about 3 weeks after from the basement unit failed. Another 2 ton CM TT27 is on the way, based on the research here I decided to go with a split unit, and a Bryant FV4 03 air handler. Having both compressors fail 3 weeks apart after 16 years may be bad luck and coincidence, but my guess it was related to using hvacr super seal about 3 months before in both units. I have a question on t-stats, but I'll open a new thread for that.

Thanks all for the previous inputs.

John

3. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

My experience has been similar with Superseal though a buddy contractor says he has no trouble as long as he installs a hard start cap at the same time.
    Other things that could make compressors fail about the same time include power surges and brown-outs.
    j

4. JohnF

JohnF New Member

I used the super seal on both heat pumps in December, in February the compressor in the downstairs unit wouldn't start. I added the hard start kit then, and it helped. Few weeks later same exact thing happened on the upstairs unit, hard start kit worked again. But about a month after adding the hard start caps both compressors seized up and that was it. I'm not picking on Super Seal, just seems too much of a coincidence. Or maybe this was just built in 16 year obsolescence in FHP, like in new cars. But after pulling out both units I actually saw how corroded the coils were, the heat pumps didn't have much left in them anyway.

John

5. ncgeo

ncgeo Member

I think you made the right choice to replace the units; with the tax credit was probably cheaper to upgrade rather than replace major components. And you might consider getting any necessary upgrade done on the supply or return well in the same timeframe. On an open loop setup those wells are part of the system and also qualify for the tax credit. Last year I upgraded one of my single-stage units and "right-sized" the well pump at the same time to claim the tax credit (the orignal pump was incorrectly super-sized).

I had a house in central NJ 15 years ago with a similar setup (and return well problem). Was your home built by the former Union Valley Corp or one of their related companies? At the time they were unique as a tract builder in using geo systems in their homes. I bought a home from them partly for that reason but I think many were scared of it and went elsewhere. I know now the well pump in that house also was way-oversized for the application, which probably contributed to my burning out the pump in 2 years. Also I recall some of my neighbors getting fed up with the maintenance and tweaking needed on the open-loop units and return wells, and talking of switching to gas heat and electric AC.

6. JohnF

JohnF New Member

NCGeo,

Yes, the house was build by Union Valley Corp, the development in Ethan Mills in Jackson NJ. 16 years ago was a good time to buy a house in NJ, wasn't it...? Supposedly I was their first customer to ask for a two zone geo setup, had to really push for it. The builder finally agreed but charged me 5K extra. After we moved in I found out that my neighbor requested the same set up (same house model too), and only paid 2.5K for the second zone. I mentioned this to the sales rep, and was surprised they gave me a check for 2.5K. They were offering 2 zones as an upgrade later too. Did you have FHP unit too? Another neighbor with geo moved away to a new house with 2x4 construction and propane heat, and was complaining his heating and cooling were more than double of what he paid in Jackson.

Thanks for the note on replacing the well or pumps. I'm still on the original pump, lot of my neighbors replaced theirs. I'm not even sure how big mine is, never had to pull it out. Other than the obvious higher energy cost, what are the cons of the pump being oversized? With two separate geo heat pumps, 4 people in the house, and a lot of lawn sprinklers the pump is still keeping up.

John