Garage Application?

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Applications' started by bones, Sep 22, 2015.

1. bones

bones New Member

I currently have a WaterFurnace Envision 5 series 5 ton unit that was installed when we built our home in 2009. It has two zones. Due to current code, one cannot put heat or cool into a garage and have the same returns come into the house due to the possibility of Co2 entering the house.

With that said, I use a pellet stove to heat my garage, using approx 3 tons of pellets per heating season, average of about $600-800 each season. This adds up over the years, maybe I should be investing in some type of geothermal for the garage?

Is there an application that can use my existing vertical ground loop and/or my existing 5 series to work for the attached garage without having returns into the home?

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You can't use the existing heat pump. No way around those codes that I can think of.

You could use the loops, assuming you have the capacity for the extra btu's for the garage. A console unit or such plumbed in parallel would do the work for you.

From experience, the garage is a big use of btu's - even when temps are kept low. It has a good volume % compared to the rest of the house (typically). So you don't likely have the extra capacity in your ground loops.

We do a fair % of garages/shops in our work. They are almost always radiant slab.

3. bones

bones New Member

Thanks, makes sense. I would've done a radiant slab when we built but it just wasn't in the budget at the time.

4. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Too bad, because plastic is cheap and concrete expensive.