forced air or radiant?

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Applications' started by northerner, Jul 26, 2011.

1. northerner

northerner New Member

not sure if i want forced air or radiant. iam concerned with cost of installation, if ones more efficient and less expensive to operate, and comfort. I will be using my geo system for both heating and cooling.

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

As a home owner with both, I think the air is a little more efficent and I get heat & A/C.

Geo forced air is much more comfortable then gas or oil forced (scorched) air. The air comes out of the duct work slower, so you hardly know when it's running.

To get radiant heat and a/c you need either a dual unit like Water Furnace Synergy 3, Hydron Module, Hydro-Temp, or you need air handlers to go with a water to water heat pump. The later (I think) being more costly to install.

ChrisJ

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Air

"concerned with the cost of installation" = air.

4. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I like radiant

I think you need to factor in the operating costs to make a good choice. IMHO radiant wins the comfort issue every time.

Mark

6. urthbuoy

JP,

Please let old threads remain buried.

9. urthbuoy

JP,

Generally raising an old thread (as someone supporting this site with their knowledge) to add additional knowledge holds no purpose. The person raising the original question is long gone. If a new question arises from someone, sure, they can dig up old threads with a question like - "same thing has happened to me". We then can elaborate. But as above, I'm not sure who you are talking to? You've included a lot of information to nobody in particular.

Also, the professionals here tend to stay away from obsessively flogging particular equipment. The contractor/client relationship is far more important than the client/heat pump relationship.