Forced air and radiant - best option, 2 units or 1synergy3d?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Eric D, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Eric D

Eric D Member

Consumer Tax Deductions for Geoexchange Installations?

What current and future tax benefits might be available for consumers that install Geoexchange devices? Where might one look to learn more?

Eric D

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Eric, In Howard County Maryland there is currently a local tax credit of up to $5000 available for installing goethermal heating. I have just contracted to retrofit the three systems in my home to goe. We will start the horizontal loop Thursday of this coming week. I am very excited about the prospect of the new systems. I currently have two high efficiency oil fired furnaces and one air source heat pump to heat our home.

Wayne K

3. Eric D

Eric D Member

Hi Wayne,

Wow, that is one generous credit. I haven’t seen anything close to that here in Michigan.

I can understand your excitement. I was very anxious to complete the installation of my retro fit geo system. I started the installation last Christmas. I’ve been installing it in steps. This weekend I started the connection of a new water heater to the desuperheater of my geothermal unit. This is the last step in completing my system.
    Please keep us posted on how the installation of your
    system is progressing.

Regards,
    Eric D

4. DooRacer500

DooRacer500 Member

Have ~2,000 sq' of Radiant (basement) & 2,000 sq' of forced air (first floor) in a new build.

What would you guys prefer or what factors factor into the decision making process? A unit such as the synergy3d that does 3-in-1 or two dedicated units, one for forced air, one for radiant?

5. zach

zach Member Forum Leader

Dooracer

Hydron Module makes a combination unit.

I know there are pros on this board who have installed such units.

Although I do not have that type square footage, I am looking at doing something along those lines with a combination of radiant and forced air.

Water to water with a hydronic air handler is one option I am exploring in addition to the Hydron combination unit.

Z

6. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I've done both (Hydron and Waterfurnace) units. For combo units sizing becomes pretty specific to your loads One has to go further than normal building loads and determine run times since both outputs are from one unit.

So, bottom line, if your loads actually match up well enough with the outputs of these units, then you can consider them; otherwise, it's two independent units for their corresponding loads (or a fan coil).

7. DooRacer500

DooRacer500 Member

If there the exact same size, I would imagine the loads wound not match.

This is in the initial stages so I have no idea if this will go forward, if so, for sure a manual J will be calculated.

8. teetech

teetech Member Forum Leader

As mentioned, depending on the load criteria, you might also want to consider a water to water unit with a fan coil for more flexibility with cooling loads.

9. Howard Ek

Howard Ek Member

Re: One unit: It doesn't matter if the radiant load is smaller than the forced air load.

10. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Then to make a choice,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,, we need to measure.