Flushing

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fastmat23, Apr 22, 2012.

1. fastmat23

fastmat23 New Member

I have a 3yd old Bard open loop geothermal unit that works great but I have read that I should flush the system because of sediment and iron could possibly create the system to be less efficient. The question is where and what flushing liquid should I use?

Thank you

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

There are a lot of things you could use. One of the most important factors is that you identify what your coil is made of and that the cleaning solution will not damage your coil.

The most important thing is to identify if you even have a problem. Knowing the quality of your water and the material your coil is made of will guide your choices.

Hope this helps.
    Eric

3. fastmat23

fastmat23 New Member

Water Coil

Thanks Eric!

My water coils is made from Cupro-Nickel or Copper Coaxial from what it says in the book. I have done some research and found a product used for cleaning ice machines. Do you have any recomendation on another cleaner>

THank you,
    Matt

4. waterpirate

There is a huge diffeance in the cupra nickel and copper. Copper is effected by a lot of things, cupra nickel allmost nothing. You need to determine which it really is to move forward cleaning.
    Eric

5. fastmat23

fastmat23 New Member

Cupro-Nickel

Its funny how no where in the manual it identifies that the coil is made from. Finally I found a website that listed the master parts list. The water coil is a Cupro-Nickel Coaxial Water Coil! Its a 5ton Bard Heat Pump. Do you have any recommendation of a good flushing solution? The manual says: Acid Cleaning the Water Coil or Heat Pump
    Recovery Unit. If scaling of the coil is strongly suspected, the coil can be cleaned up with a solution of Phosphoric Acid (food grade acid).

6. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You should be able to tell by the model number of your heatpump if it has a Ni-Cu coil or not.

7. waterpirate

I would start with the cleaning kits commonly sold for tankless water heaters and pay attention to what comes out. Based on what you find in the bottom of the bucket will be a good indicator of wether periodic flushing is needed, or was it an excersise in education.
    Eric

8. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

I don't think Bard has made a unit with a copper coil since before '07 sometime.