First Winter, FHP Geothermal is not heating

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by donshade, Dec 13, 2010.

1. donshade

donshade New Member

I am new to this home and there is an FHP geothermal heat pump installed. I have set the thermostat for heat, yet the unit continues to blow cold air.

Any ideas?

2. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Where do you live?

3. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

what is the temp of your house now?

4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Locked out and just blowing?

5. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

My favorite?
    Geothermal system installed in home, no gsx:eek:
    Eric

6. donshade

donshade New Member

I live in Melbourne Beach, FL. The inside temp now is 54. The compressor starts, runs for 3 seconds, then stops. Fan continues blowing cold air. When the compressor was running, the water pump did pump water fine (open loop system).

There are two capacitors: a 7.5 MFD and a 35 MFD. They both look good. I tested the smaller one at the local ACE Hardware, it tested fine.

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Donshade,

I'm a couple hours away from you...just south of Jax, FL.

If the compressor starts and runs for 3 seconds, capacitor(s) probably aren't the problem.

Is the installer's business info somewhere on the unit? Would the seller of the home at least point you to the installer?

It would be a bit of a ride for me but if you can't find a more local servicer I might be willing to shoot down there...I'd have to charge a bit for the trip.

email me - curt "at" greenersolutionsac.com

"at" needs to be @

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

When you say compressor runs for a "few seconds" that would indicate refrigerant problem (generally). If it actually runs a minute or more I'd look at filter and water flow.
    I'm actually shivering just 18 hours up the road from you.....if you'd like to fly the family and I to sunny Florida.....I'll throw in a free heat pump exam.:D:D:D
    Good luck,
    Joe

9. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Joe

Nice aproach

10. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Agree - it may be tripping out on high refrigerant pressure perhaps caused by a bad metering device or other restriction

11. Popoff

Popoff Member

And then you can stop by here for a little skiing on the way home. It got up to 20* here (outside, not inside) for the first time this week! Baked goods for all and you can tweak my system that's been running on aux heat since the weekend. )~:

Deal?