Filtering source water??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Steve B Toalson, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Steve B Toalson

Steve B Toalson New Member

Our geothermal heat pump for our pool uses a pond in our back yard. It is a community pond and they do a good job of circulating the water and maint. to keep the algae and muck down. Our inlet has a large (huge) filter on it so we don't draw in any debris. Still - twice now, I have 'lost prime' as a leaf or weed has lodged itself into the check valve near the pump that prevents the water from flowing back into the pond (about 30 feet in length but only 6 foot drop). My current fear is that the pump has burned out when trying to restart the next day with no fluid. I will be testing the pump here shortly. Regardless of the pump status - I still need to solve this 'issue' of 'losing prime'.

Looking for any suggestions to help here. I read about including a 'fluid check' of some source that will prevent the pump from running if there were no water source. Not sure how that would work - but it's one idea.

Additional Info: The heater will only kick on when the pool pump is on. Currently, the pool pump runs from 6am to 6pm.

2. SShaw

SShaw Member Forum Leader

Any way you can convert to a closed loop system using a pond loop or plate exchanger? Most recommend against open loop for ponds. This is what Waterfurnace says about open loops for ponds.

upload_2021-2-19_8-48-57.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  3. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member Forum Leader

I might be mis-remembering but I think there are systems used with well water that can sense loss of prime and not turn on the pump. maybe something like that could be adopted?