Fill'N-loops

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Calladrilling, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Filling the loops.
    What are you using to fill the loops with water to prevent them from floating?
    I've been using a garden hose recently since all my other ideas have failed, or not worked conviently. I wanna use some kind of pump system but haven't had any luck without some sort of set back.

2. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

We use the garden hose

3. Calladrilling

That's the most Convenient way but there is never enough volume to completly fill the loop. It works okay, but I am looking for a better solution.

4. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

How do you get the water out of your water truck? We pump the water out of the tanker to the drill rig via a 3hp irrigation pump and 1 1/4 hose. We have a fill adapter that goes from the shut off valve on the rig to a quick connect x the correct size barb fitting for the loop at hand. We definately achieve "scouring velocity" filling the loops.
    hope this helped
    Eric

5. Calladrilling

That was a plan of mine that I abandon early on. We always park our water truck so We can gravity feed to the mud pan. We never use a pump.
    I do have a 3" pump we thought of using but I don't want to use the water truck water since sometimes it gets a little irony from being in the truck over night, and driving to the sites with it..
    I would rather make some kinda booster pump set up and use the garden hose potable water for loop filling.. All my ideas failed so far though.

6. waterpirate

Mud rotary driling in it's purest form can be done by hand with a stick and a bucket of water. The more peices and parts you add to that system the more complicated it becomes. The trick is to add efficency to the proccess not another obstacle to performance.

I understand you are fighting your dad here, but gravity feeding the pan is like running a model T pickup on Sunday for nascar. Think of it this way, nature and gravity control you, not the other way around.
    Eric

7. Calladrilling

We gravity feed our pan with 2" pipe. To be completely honest , it works very well. I would say we get an easy 30-50 gpm depending on where the truck is in relation to the mud pan.
    I do not see a big advantage to fill my pan any faster than that, but having a pump would benefit me in filling the loops.
    Today I had no problems filling the 1x300' loop with a hose hooked to a 1" hydrant in the customers yards now I can only convince all my customers to install hydrants my problem would be over!

I am going to calculate my gpm from our water truck tomorrow.

8. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Although we do not do the drilling for our vertical loop installs, something that we do at homes that have good quality but low quantity water is bring a couple clean blue 55 gallon drums to the job. We slowly fill these during the install and than use our larger pump for flushing...

9. Palace GeoThermal

I should say that our garden hose is usually hooked to a fire hydrant.

10. waterpirate

The pump and the water hose is about location, location, location. It gives us the ability to not worry about the logistics of the water truck in relation to the rig. On most residential jobs the tanker stays on the road and only the drill sees the yard. I built a hose reel like the fire dept. so spooling off a 150' of supply hose and having water at the other end is no biggie. The guys keep telling me I am cheap for not putting a winder motor on the reel. We wind it up with a crank I took off the landing gear on a junk tractor trailer.
    Eric

11. Rig 40

Rig 40 New Member

Filling loops

We plumbed up a wash hose system to the grouter pump that easily fills the loops

12. Calladrilling

Not sure why if my last post was sent or not. But I think I'm just going to use my flush cart for filling loops when a yard hydrant is not available. The flush cart needs to be on Job site sooner or later anyways.

13. Palace GeoThermal

sounds like a good idea:)

14. Nemek

Nemek New Member

Over here,,

We are filling our loops whith a drained pump and mix in Bio etanol at the same time,, if the hole is deeper then 250m we fill it whith water first then mix in the etanol . Or else we have problem getting it down.

15. Calladrilling

Your drilling 750' loops?

16. Nemek

Nemek New Member

I´m not sure how many meters 750´ is but we often drill 300m when its tight whith space exampel,, heating a school, whithout destroy everything when digging it together. 40-50 X 300m is common.