Connecticut Excessive electric bills

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kristi, Apr 19, 2016.

1. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

https://www.geoexchange.org/forum/forums/maintenance-and-troubleshooting.279/

Go to the above link if you want to post in the troubleshooting section. On the upper right corner there is a click icon named "post new thread". Copy and past your original issue into it. we simply trying to help others here too, and you posting here in another thread who has another issue messes things up a bit.

2. mrrxtech

mrrxtech Member

Does anyone have an idea why:
    1. the house is not cooling to the temperatures as stated on each thermostat
    2. why the Unico stops responding to the call
    3. why the Unico stops whenever and then starts up whenever regardless of what the thermostat is asking for?[/QUOTE]

"The temp of the tanks are where they should be. At 46 degrees" I'm not familiar with the loop side of your system with tanks.

Also the HBX & Unico Units are new to me since I don't use an HBX but control the equivalent of your Taco loop pumps directly from the contactor that starts the Geo Unit compressor.
    The Unico's which I looked at on line would act as whole house duct work since they appear to be air handling units with flexible duct as you know.

You have 3 types of electronic controlled devices (Geothermal Unit, HBX, & Unico) plus thermostat interacting with each other, so I can see why you are having problems so often. Maybe the Pro's here have seen this design and can help you further.

The down button will not advance lower than 68 degrees: Lower the heating set point a few degrees and see if the cooling setpoint can be lowered
    by the same amount when you push the down button.
    I have a Trane XT801 thermostat which I believe is made by Honeywell. The thermostat Auto position switches the Geothermal Unit between Heat & Cool automatically to maintain a given temperature band as the seasons change. There's a fixed 4 degree band between heat and cool (this may be variable from inside on the thermostat base), so if you set heat at 72 F the cooling set point won't go below 68 degrees.

3. "The temp of the tanks are where they should be. At 46 degrees" I'm not familiar with the loop side of your system with tanks.

Also the HBX & Unico Units are new to me since I don't use an HBX but control the equivalent of your Taco loop pumps directly from the contactor that starts the Geo Unit compressor.
    The Unico's which I looked at on line would act as whole house duct work since they appear to be air handling units with flexible duct as you know.

You have 3 types of electronic controlled devices (Geothermal Unit, HBX, & Unico) plus thermostat interacting with each other, so I can see why you are having problems so often. Maybe the Pro's here have seen this design and can help you further.

The down button will not advance lower than 68 degrees: Lower the heating set point a few degrees and see if the cooling setpoint can be lowered
    by the same amount when you push the down button.
    I have a Trane XT801 thermostat which I believe is made by Honeywell. The thermostat Auto position switches the Geothermal Unit between Heat & Cool automatically to maintain a given temperature band as the seasons change. There's a fixed 4 degree band between heat and cool (this may be variable from inside on the thermostat base), so if you set heat at 72 F the cooling set point won't go below 68 degrees.[/QUOTE]

4. Thank you. I probably screwed up the new thread because I tried to copy and paste all the comments from this one. It ended up copying the first answer twice.

By me posting a completely new thread, how will these answers be transfered to the new thread?

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

In general, the daily use of a programmable thermostat is not advised for modern multistage heat pumps. Bringing up the space to temperature will result in a less favorable operating condition with lesser efficiency and lesser comfort. If you go on vacation for a few weeks, absolutely, but not on a daily basis.

6. mrrxtech

mrrxtech Member

Karen,
    I've always used a Trane Weathertron XT500 in the past, on my split heat pumps and now my Geothermal heat pump. This is an old design but reliable thermostat. It has the 5 work days then 2 days for the weekend.
    This worked very well when everyone in the house worked or went to school Monday through Friday and had weekends off. Then came the rotating shift work and unpredictable schedules.
    Society has gone crazy with the middle class being downsized leaving less employees to do all of the work and the boss always wanted meetings during work hours leaving the evenings and weekend to do the work that had to be done.
    After downsizing the ceo and his company, I now set the house up in a band using the Trane XT 501 which keeps the house within a selected band of temperatures by automatically switching from cooling to heating.
    For instance 68 degrees to 74 degrees. When the house goes below 68 degrees the heat comes on and at 74 degrees the cooling comes on. Changing the Hold Temperature allows you to set the current temperature anywhere you like, or dehumidify the house when the humidity is high but the temperature is below 74.

Having the latest and greatest of everything electronic could spend down your financial resources, requiring those who must have them to continue working in an environment no one deserves to have to work in, except the Thugs with Anger Management Issues promoted to "managers" to keep everyone in line and spineless so they can keep their jobs.

7. Kevin and Jen

Kevin and Jen New Member

Hi Kristi, my wife and I are looking into a geothermal system in CT, have your issues been resolved or are you still seeing high electric bills? Would you recommend the system or should we stick with having propane or oil in our new construction house?
    Would really like to get your feedback

8. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

She has not been back since April 19th so I'm not sure you will get a response from Kristi.

Putting Geo in a new construction home can be great. You could start a new thread and tell us about your project.