Electric utility understanding best loop options

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Husker, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Husker

Husker New Member

I'm in charge of marketing at a rural power district in Southwest Nebraska and we want to increase the number of geothermal units installed by our customers. At the moment most of our HVAC dealers give the customer two loop options, vertical or pump-n-dump. I understand that the horizontal loops are less expensive and there are three options-- normal, slinky or boring.

We want to be able to get the HVAC dealers to look at other less expensive options for the loops, hoping that there are more installations because of a lower installation cost. I'm looking for some input and advice from anyone on how we can accomplish our goal.

2. Ground source options

If the utility is serious, they are several other options that are valid. Beside pump and dump, and horizontal, consider pond or lake loops. Vertical drilling is not too expensive in many areas. Whatever the cost, the payback will be there within a few years. I suggest you look for support from several of the geothermal initiative projects out there, starting with the feds. There are lots of groups touting geothermal just to get the word out. Personally, I guess that in 20 years, we will all have to do do it by law.