Electric Utility Meter Reading Devices

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Eric D, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Eric D

Eric D Member

Electric Utility Meter Reading Devices

I’ve seen a few devices on the web for capturing the data from the newer “Hour of Day” utility electric meters. Has anyone found something that works for them to capture the usage information that the utility company doesn’t mind being used?

I’ve read on other websites where the utility companies have told customers to remove the devices from the meter.

It would be nice to have a way to monitor electric usage right from the meter. It would be beneficial in helping to identify what electric devices are costing to run or identify something that is going bad.

What do you think?
    • Should electric customers have access to the hour of day meter data?[/*:m:3t9yxg2d]
    • Should we have to pay extra to see this info?[/*:m:3t9yxg2d]

Eric D

2. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes to the first, no to the second.

3. Dale

Dale New Member

Eric,

I installed a TED (www.theenergydetective.com) on my house and geothermal system in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in north Texas. It's all in the house though so, what goes on inside the house is my business.

It is installed in the breaker panel. I put one on the whole house and a second one on just the geothermal. It measures killowatts, voltage, cost and carbon dioxide emissions. It works pretty well. It can track usage down to the second if I choose. Not sure what I would do with that level of detail since I pay for usage by the hour. Anyway, it has graphs, a dashboard, and a data export to Excel. Works pretty well and, for $200, appears to be a pretty good deal to me.

4. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Thanks for posting this info, looks very useful

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Just signed up recently, and am enthused about the source of energy. We are planning on having a system on our retirement home in the near future. Your question...if you pay for it, the info should be available/accessible. Dale's set up seems very good. The utility corporates don't like transparency, and when in doubt they deny.

6. Eric D

Eric D Member

ssivonda,

Welcome to the GeoExchange. If you don't mind my asking, where will your retirement home be located? What type of system do you plan on installing?

I agree that Dale's system seems to be the way to go short of the utility letting us read the meter electronically.

Glad you joined us.

Eric D

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Where did it go?

Eric, I thought I sent you an answer yesterday, but I can't find it. Sorry.I'm going to give you a short version now. Location in N.W. N.Mexico. High desert 5000 or so elev. House size approx. 2000 Sq. ft.and one level. Probably a wet system and radient in floor, hot water boost off a gas fired H/W htr. I'm finding all kind of info from installer web sites, and have found out there are a lot in Colorado but only 1 listed in N.Mexico. I like the forum and your participation certainly makes it better since you've been working on your own over a bit of time.
    Steve

8. Eric D

Eric D Member

Hi Steve,

Your retirement home and location sounds like it will be a very interesting project. You mentioned a wet system. Will this be a well sourced system or air to water? I'm not familiar with the New Mexico area. Keep us posted on how the planning is going.

Sorry to hear you lost your first posting. I hate when that happens.

Regards,

Eric D