Electric bill

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TuffToodle, Nov 29, 2018.

1. TuffToodle

TuffToodle New Member

Tamar - we have 3 options for the fan: on, auto, and circulate - currently I have them both set to auto which means it should only come on with the heater
    Stickman - thank you so much for that download! It's nice to read something in mostly layman's terms. I'll have some shopping and exploring to do, but this looks very helpful. My guess is that these are the measurements the installers did when they came out and said the system was functioning well, but step one is to figure out the circuit breaker situation anyway. I'll make my husband poke around a bit on his next day off.

2. kram

kram New Member

Any chance you could have a faulty thermostat?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. Brad

Brad New Member

I recently had my attic, gable ends, and a storage area spray foamed with closed cell to R38 for half that price, and we have a decent amount of sqft or surface area... probably about 1600-1700. I know this isn't totally apples-to-apples, but I would strongly recommend getting more quotes, including for open cell foam if you want to save even more money. Talk with others in the area about contractors they used for spray foaming as well. It is just that $16k, without knowing lots of details, sounds awfully expensive.

4. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Rent a cellulose insulation blower and DIY. It's not hard and it won't cost the price of an economy car.

5. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

I've heard so many issues with foam, I'm going to stay far away from it. The two main ones are fish smells and foam coming apart after a few years. Not worth the risk. It works if done right but no contractor is perfect.

6. Brad

Brad New Member

She needs to create a conditioned space in the attic for the ducts so the blown-in cellulose won't work.

There are risks with spray foam, but they are likely at the rate of bad geothermal jobs... probably less than that. There's a negative reporting bias with customer reviews. The fish smell is related to closed cell foam that didn't cure correctly and didnt offgas appropriately. Similar to geothermal as well, I'd properly vet your prospective contractor, including getting recent references and you should be fine. Perhaps have it in the agreement that the contractor is on the hook for fully remediating a botched job, which includes a poorly cured foam job.

7. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Yeah I'm familiar with why it happened. I'm just not willing to take the risk.

8. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Yes you can make cellulose work for conditioning space in the attic. just build partitions/walls, etc.

9. TuffToodle

TuffToodle New Member

Thanks again for all the help guys. Our electric bill for the month of January came in and while this year was on average 4 degrees warmer than last year we only spent $214 instead of $700 - so I'd say some of the air sealing we have done is paying off. The "bill forecast" feature on the electric companies website is currently pegging us for about $422 next month though. I haven't had the time to figure out the aux situation yet (everyone at home got sick this month!) - but even on our coldest days recently (hello polar vortex!) I haven't seen the aux sign light up on our thermostat. I am still getting that spike in our electricity usage around 5-6 am and the heat seems to be blowing louder? at that time every morning - but no aux sign on the thermostat - this might be because we have that 2-degree setback at night so the thermostat uses its smart recovery system to decide when to start heating the place back up.
    Just for reference, does anyone know what kind of electric bill would be reasonable? what I should be aiming for? I know the geo is supposed to consume 11,000kwh a year and my solar panels generate 11,000kwh so they should cancel out - which means I'd really only have our average household electricity to pay for (though this would be concentrated in the winter months because of when our solar generation peaks) so about $100/month? If that is true - maybe these winter bills are to be expected.
    For clarification - the insulation quote we had done was for foam panels on the rafters with insulation blown behind it - if I remember correctly that included removal 0f the old stuff and maybe some small jobs in our garage. I am having another quote later this month, but most of the contractors in our area are only interested in insulating the floor of the attic - finding a good company for the roof has been tough. Over presidents day weekend I'm hoping to lock my hubby in the garage to build a second wall against the house - we have a problem with freezing pipes and a cold laundry room so there is obviously some severe air infiltration happening there. Thanks again for all the tips, I really am listening!lol

10. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

You really shouldn't do a setback. It's probably going into the higher stage to get to your desired temperature, hence more noise.