Elbow in one loop- can it affect flow?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by grao, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You have a WEL ?? Way to go !! what is your WEL number?

2. grao

grao New Member

Short loop solution- will a splice in EW or LW line work?

OK gurus- lets say that I am short and instead of the 150 ft/ton I should have 200. I have 3 275 ft bores, so I am short 125 feet.

So, given my backyard geometry, rather than putting in a fourth bore to keep u tubes the same length in a parallel configuration in order to maintain balanced flow, what if I had the driller drill a 125 foot hole and patch in a U tube into either my EW or LW line??

Should work quite well- anything I am missing? Essentially, instead of a 4th bore, I am getting the needed extra 125 foot ground contact with a splice of U tube.

Comments???

3. geo fan

geo fan Member Forum Leader

While you clearly arent talking to me Ill chime in

As long as you maintain the pipe size of the ew/lw ( dont drop it down to the vert pipe size )
    and you double check flow to make sure you havent reduced to much
    The solution should work while maintaining equal flow though your origonal loops
    The math isnt quite that simple , The larger pipe having much more surface area and moving 3 times the gallons of any other loop would have to calculated seperate , as apposed to just adding the missing feet

4. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

This might work. You would need to tee into both the EWT and LWT lines and put some kind of flow controller otherwise the short loop will rob flow from the other loops. You might also have to add a flow pump to keep the gpm where it needs to be.

5. Rgausman

Rgausman Member

I believe that Grao is saying to cut one of header pipes and splice in a 250', 1-1/4" u-tube down a 125' bore hole. This would be a series-parallel ground loop circuit.

Jee... four years of high school electronics still comes in handy... :)

Bob G.