Efficiency of vertical pipes in high water table

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Don Wiss, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Don Wiss

Don Wiss New Member

I'm buying a house in Greenport, NY. This is a waterfront community. Elevation is about 10 feet, and it is sand underneath. The unit I like is the Water Furnace 7 Series 3-ton. A dealer for the area says no problem drilling vertical. The property is too small for horizontal. But my architect says geothermal doesn't work very well in such a situation. I would think the pipes below the water table would have high conductivity. Would I get maximum efficiency? There is no natural gas. My alternatives are oil, which the house has now, or putting a large propane tank underground. Or maybe a heat pump. As for PV solar, the roof is a cross gable in a historic district and the back side faces the wrong way.

2. gsmith22

gsmith22 Active Member Forum Leader

Your architect has no idea what they are talking about. An architect would be the last professional I would consult regarding this. They typically hire a mechanical engineering subconsultant anyway to do the HVAC work in buildings so its unlikely they really understand the specifics.

The water content of the soil will dramatically up the ability of the soil to store heat (water has the highest specific heat of any liquid). Furthermore, it would be an uncommon situation that the water in the soil is stagnant without a flow gradient of some sort. So the movement of water through the ground will help to keep ground temps moderated and move heat toward/away from your vertical wells as you extrat heat (in the winter) or reject heat (in the summer). Regardless, whatever your ground capacity to store and transmit heat, the vertical length of wells would be configured for it so end of day, both the worst and best soil conditions can be made to work - just the length of wells would be affected. Nothing in your description would indicate you are going to end up with some abnormally deep vertical well(s).