Missouri Econar GeoSource 2000 -no heat- COOLS OK-

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by K cole, Oct 9, 2017.

1. K cole

K cole New Member

GeoSource 2000- Compressor WN start in HEAT MODE, RUNS in COOL MODE.
    NO lockouts indicated.
    24v is at the control board for HEAT and fan control. Fan runs but compressor never kicks in.

SWAPPED OUT control board with a KNOWN good board (worked before on same unit) .
    What am I missing ?????
    What is the difference in HEAT and COOL ? (except for the reversing valve)

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

So the compressor does come on in cooling but does not come on in heating?

3. K cole

K cole New Member

Correct. Fan comes on but not compressor. No lockout, no fault light on control board. Compressor should come on about 2 seconds after fan. Turn on COOL and everything works.
    According to volt meter 24v AC is on the HEAT (as well as FAN CONTROL) wire from thermostat.
    It's not making any sense to me.
    Even though it's getting the required voltage from the thermostat I'm leaning toward a thermostat problem as I do not see any -difference- in what -controls are required- to heat vs cool AND I have swapped the control board with a known good one.

4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Is the thermostat able to run a heat pump would be my first check. Rh, Rc, Y and so forth.

5. K cole

K cole New Member

GSHP is an Econar 15 years old, thermostat is the same.
    Voltages appeared correct, I checked them over and over and over at the thermostat and the GSHP control board, and the new one which I replaced with a spare I had.

I -was- going to replace the thermostat, but on a whim as a last resort I removed power from GSHP/THERMOSTAT and removed the thermostat batteries. I let the thermostat set for a while and put the batteries back in (after checking the voltage on the batteries)
    Then I went thru the reprogramming of the thermostat. NOW IT WORKS !!???
    I have no idea why the voltages looked good . . . . . now I have to re-grow all the hair I pulled out. . . .

I really do appreciate the response.
    I had a 'emergency bypass' rigged up by jumpering the fan control input from the thermostat to the compressor relay 'pick coil' (bypassing the control board) so I would have heat, but I was beginning to think there was some 'undocumented control' that was preventing the compressor from starting. I was trying to find a schematic on the control board but with Econar no longer being in business I was not having any luck finding information.

Again . . Thank you

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017