North Carolina E2 High pressure fault - collasped pipes

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mitchell Barber, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Mitchell Barber

Mitchell Barber New Member

Hi All

Had a TE30 Tranquility system installed in December 2016. It is a pond loop w/5 coils, 200' from the house and ~50' into the pond. ~10' water depth. No issues till just now. It's showing 3 different faults: High pressure / Pump flow / Low water temp. I have 2 units in my mechanical room: one for my upstairs and the larger unit for the downstairs. On both units, the rubber outflow and inflow pipes are collapsed in on themselves like you would suck a plastic straw flat. I've called my installer but it will be a while (week) before he can get out as he is on vacation at the moment. He's afraid it means there's a failure in the pond loop field. We pressurized the loops in that field at 100 psi for 2 weeks and it held with less than 5 psi loss. He is calling a climate master tech he knows to get an idea of the cause as he has never run into that before where the pipes are actually collapsed. I wanted to know if someone here has had that problem and what caused it.

Thanks
    Mitch

2. Mitchell Barber

I wanted to add the house is uphill from the pond. My thinking is if there was a leak and the pipe lost pressure, the weight of the water in the loops could cause the rubber pipes on the units (which are uphill) to collapse. At a guess, the difference in height is ~20-30 feet.

3. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Just need to goose the pressure in the loop. Then monitor and check for leaks. No biggie.
    Eric

4. Mitchell Barber

Thanks for replying Eric. As I understand it, the loop is pressurized. Its been running since December with no problem. How does it suddenly develop enough negative pressure to collapse those pipes like that? And how do you 'goose' the pressure? I know it's not something I would do. I just want to try and understand it.
    Thanks.

5. Mitchell Barber

Nope, got a leak in the loop. Installer came by just before leaving on vacation to try and inject water in the line. We did and the pipes inflated but a pressure gauge started showing an immediate drop when we stopped. When we cut the valves to isolate the house piping from the loop, the pressure held steady. Now I've got to float the loop and find the issue.

6. waterpirate

Beavers?

7. Mitchell Barber

I'm afraid that may be the case. I've got a 2 acre pond that, occasionally, will have a beaver in it. I usually kill/trap them when they stay more than a week or so or start building a lodge. This time, 2 moved in a couple months ago and between changing jobs and other things, I never got around to taking care of them. Now, I may regret that delay. I'm going to attempt to float the loop today to see what I've got and will get back to you when I know for sure. Besides shooting the damn things, I'm already formulating ways of protecting the pipes.

8. waterpirate

Years ago in the IGSHPA literature there were photos of a couple of lodges in Minnesota that were constructed using hdpe geo pipe. Being a salt water creature that is all I know about beavers. Hopefully you can float the loop and execute repairs. Then take the appropriate action based on the leak that you find.
    Eric

9. Mitchell Barber

Thanks for responding. Other question. The loops I have installed don't have any spacers and I would like to install spacers while I have it up. Any idea where I can buy them? My system is climatemaster.

10. waterpirate

Most pond loops we have seen here seem to have a diy scheme to accomplish the separation. Be it pvc pipe and zip ties, or any thing you can think of or have on hand to provide separation. There was also some discussion about the loops settling into the sediment on the bottom of the pond. At which time they became a hybrid loop, and the need for separation of the coils was thought to be less important?
    Eric

11. mtrentw

mtrentw Member Industry Professional

One potential solution for spacers is plastic "rebar chairs." Get something for wide channel bar and zip tie the pipes on either end.

12. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader