New York DSH Noise

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stickman, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Stickman

Stickman Active Member Forum Leader

Good Day - Tranquility 27 split with DSH and buffer HW tank. Yesterday I heard a noise coming from the heat pump while the first shower of the day was going on (I was at the unit and not in the shower ). The noise was accompanied by a gradually diminishing vibration in the DSH/buffer plumbing. By shower #2, the noise and vibration were gone. Does this suggest that over the course of no HW use that air is entering?

Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays) to all!

2. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I assume the compressor was running?

What piping material is used?

Could you pin-point it to the DHW lines from unit to the buffer tank?

age of unit?

3. Stickman

Yes, compressor was running.
    3/4" copper throughout.
    Noise does appear to emanate in the run from unit out to drain of buffer tank.
    Unit is 14 months old, buffer tank added 5 months ago (installer only placed one HWH tank).
    Thanks!

4. Stickman

Update: listened to HP during first shower today. HP was off, and came on several seconds after shower ended. There was no noise. Could it be that if house water pressure is low in the morning, and the HP is running while there is HW demand, that the plumbing circuit between the DSH and buffer tank may just not be getting replenished fast enough?

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Open or closed loop?

6. Stickman

Closed loop.

7. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

If you said open loop I'd be more inclined to believe a water quantity problem. that said if you have a well there is a pressure gauge. It should move slowly while someone showers from ~60 to ~30 and begin to rise back up. The process will repeat. If it falls rapidly as soon as water comes on then you likely have a bad pressure tank and frequent pump cycles might be the source of noise.

I don't recall ever hearing of a noisy DSH pump, but any pump has the potential to make some noise.

8. Stickman

I'm in the suburbs, and on municipal water. Pressure is lower in the morning when all the local residents are going through with their morning routines. I'll watch and listen for a few more days and try to gather more details.