DSH buffer tank selection

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Applications' started by LongshoreGeo, Mar 4, 2012.

1. LongshoreGeo

LongshoreGeo New Member

When selecting a buffer tank for use with two tank desuperheater set up, I have seen reference to 50 gallon electric tank (with no power connected I assume). I have also seen plain insulated storage tanks designed for use with hot water circulators (no elements). Surprisingly, the cost on the "storage tanks" seems to be considerably more than comaprably sized electric water heater tanks. Any thoughts on this? :confused: I assume the storage tanks are better insulated? Any other differences that effect use as a buffer tank?

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Tank Costs

Tank costs are based on the number produced it seems.

Dedicated geo tanks have larger ports generally, but standard tanks are fine for preheat.

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

I looked for an electric water heater with 3" of insulation, Kenmore 55 gal. $400, 2yrs ago.

I could really have used a multi-port tank for my radiant buffer, but they look to be 3x-4x the money.

ChrisJ

4. jrh

jrh Member

We like Marathons

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

I'm good with the Orange store economy tank

6. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Can't rule out Blue store economy tanks, either.

I like Marathons as much as the next guy, but payback on the incremental cost likely runs to centuries, not years.

7. jrh

jrh Member

centuries really?

What is a century again?

A Marathon payback would be the day you replace your orange or blue box store tank.

So if your steel water heater usually lasts 200 years or more. Than yes Engineer you are correct.

8. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes of course.
    I was insensitive and am ashamed.
    I meant no slight toward blue, red or any primary color when I said Orange store.
    I hope you will all accept my most heartfelt apology.
    :D:D:D

9. geome

geome Member Forum Leader

Or the day a homeowner needs to pay for an insurance deductible for water damage due to a rusted out tank. (I know, I'm jinxing myself.) :)

10. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Given that a marathon tank is 3 x as much as a well insulated electric steel tank I am not sure if you are not better off replacing the steel tank every 25 years. You get into the issue of financing the difference, yes, $20 lesser heat loss per year, but those BTUs go into your thermal envelope anyway.....Great tank, sure, but really worth it? If you have the cash equivalent to the increased price of 2 Marathons you might as well get more efficient circulation pumps or other things, which give you more bang for the buck!