Do I just have a lemon? Tranquility Medium Temp W2W

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DWest, Feb 19, 2014.

1. DWest

DWest New Member

Late last year I put in a ClimateMaster Tranquility Medium Temp W2W geo unit. It ran about 3 months and then one morning it faulted. Some diags later and tech support declares the TXV needs replacing. Repair guy gets parts from ClimateMaster and puts them in. 1 day later unit stops working with the same fault. Some diags later and once again its the TXV. Repair guy gets parts from ClimateMaster and puts them in. Everything is running right now but for how long.

The repair guy said he has seen this before with the same unit so it made me wonder it this is just the beginning....

So my question is am I just extra special and got a lemon or does ClimateMaster have a serious quality issue with there W2W units????

2. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Every brand has had trouble with TXV's from time to time and indeed of replaced them on every brand. Every new part has a chance of being defective as well, unfortuanately the TXV takes awhile to change. The installer can cause failure by not replacing filter drier or using good practices, but most guys who put in WTW systems are fairly knowledgable.
    You likely hit unhappy coincidence.

3. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Depending on the batch of your Coax hx, CM did have a faulty coating on the Coax ( but i think mainly on the 5T) which would come off and clog the TXV. I know because have done 12+ txv swap outs and 2 on the same unit. The 2nd one on the same unit showed up about 4 months later. I attribute that to additional coating coming off and clogging the TXV yet again. Just because it clogged the TXV once, does not mean all the coating has fallen off. Also, I am 99% sure, CM new TXV does not come with the screen on them, which allows more junk to pass through the TXV, so i guess it depending on which replacement valve was put on it.

4. DavidCraig

DavidCraig Member

I have this problem - Replaced TXV and now within 2 weeks the second one is now failing. I don't see how it could be coax debris since the filter is immediately before the TXV and should catch this stuff.

Aside from bad TXV valves, could there be another reason?

When the first one was removed, they noticed that the diaphragm was full of oil and they had never seen that before. So what might happen to a system if too much compressor oil was in it? Could this cause this sort of thing?

5. AMI Contracting

"I have this problem - Replaced TXV and now within 2 weeks the second one is now failing. I don't see how it could be coax debris since the filter is immediately before the TXV and should catch this stuff."
    The filter is immediately upstream of the TXV in cooling (refrigerent flows the other way in heating). This is why CM says to do new start ups in cooling first.

6. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I just learned something. I just never thought about it. I just figured the starting in cooling had something to do with the reversing valve.

7. AMI Contracting

Now I have reeason to flex these muscles. LOL. The rest of the picture has the lad kneeling in shoes to further give the impression of a small body with my giant melon on it.