DIY Manifold

Discussion in 'Vertical and Horizontal Loops' started by miller2505, Feb 23, 2011.

  1. miller2505

    miller2505 New Member

    I have 3 loops that penetrate my basement wall. I need to terminate them in a manifold. I am looking into compression fitting manifolds. However, the seem very expensive. Does a DIY solution exist. The biggest problem I see is the compression fittings. Please give me some ideas on how to make this work.

  2. ACES-Energy

    ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

    Idea #1 - Call a certified fusion technician to fuse your indoor manifold together WITH valves!

    Idea #2 - Seek idea #1

    Yes, compression fittings are available on the market, but seek idea #1 and pressure test before hook-up!

  3. waterpirate

    waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

    For a diy manifold in the basement, almost anything will work. Barb insert fittings and some clever pipe fitting using galvanised or brass will get the job done. If going the diy route, I would recommend a non pressurised flow center set up as that will be more foregiving to any small issues with your piping. Making the transition from geo pipe to pvc is also a option if going non pressureised system.
  4. miller2505

    miller2505 New Member

    Thank you for your Responses

    I appreciate the help with my manifold questions. I am a confused on using a barb fitting to the poly pipe. the poly pise is so stiff it seems like it would not seal up properly. I am having a hard time finding compression fittings that will work with hdpe pipe.

    As far as pressurized system v. non pressurized. I have been looking at QT flow center, but so many people have concerns with these it has made me question getting one.

    Thanks again for the responses.
  5. Howard Ek

    Howard Ek Member

    We have been using the QT Flow Centers. No problem!

    We also use PVC valves, and an ALP-44102700-3/4” coupling.
    We buy it from:
    Georg Fischer Central Plastics LLC
    PO Box 3129
    Shawnee, OK 74802
  6. Palace GeoThermal

    Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

    A barb fitting and a hose clamp will work on HDPE at low pressure as long as the joint is inside and has easy access for occasional tightening.

    If you don't want to buy stab fittings and fusing is not an option, barb fittings are about all you have left.

    I would put double clamps on the barbs.

    Just so you know, we do not use barb fittings as we have fusing equipment.
  7. AMI Contracting

    AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

    A couple hundred bucks in geo stab fittings and you have permanent connections with little effort. Not heard anything bad about QT flow centers.
    Good Luck,
  8. miller2505

    miller2505 New Member


    Thank you everyone for the help it is much appreciated. I am staying away from the barbed fittings. I think I will go with compression fittings that are made for this I have found a place called geohydrosupply that sells HDPE to PVC compression fittings. They are approx. $12. I think that is the route I will go. Thanks again for all your help.

Share This Page