DIY Geo System Online

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cadman, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Cadman

Cadman New Member

I just wanted to say thanks for the assistance on some of my questions as of late. Last night I "threw the switch" and brought the system online. 5 ton unit with 6x 3/4" 600' loops. Still need to fab a plenum and ductwork but I have 95F air coming out the top with my 2-pump FC running on low speed. For a previously unheated space, it feels great!

One surprise was how quickly the small things added up. Brass fittings, wire, valves, etc. Now to pick up some tools to measure pressure and temp and optimize things.

Attached Files:

2. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

You could probably disconnect one of the pumps. Looks good though. I finished mine today too. Buried the manifold and because I have 2 pumps I didn't need a purge cart. This is the way to go depending on your loop design. No need to build the manifold inside and flush each one separately. I just turn it on and it self purges. Although I did have to fix my second pump for it to work. I mean sure I could've just gotten one pump but then i'd be stuck building a manifold or buy a really expensive one. Buying the 2 pump was a smarter decision.

3. arkie6

arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you just have two (2) vertical parallel loops? If so, what you have done is realistic in your case, but this same advice wouldn't apply to six (6) parallel loops as there would only be 1/3 as much flow down each loop as compared to a 2 loop design. That flowrate is unlikely to adequately purge 6 parallel loops all flowing at the same time.

4. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Yeah I know..that's why I said depending on your loop design. It appears head must have been close to 30 since the one pump didn't do the job. Once I fixed the second pump it was flushed right through. I was actually looking at building a flush cart.

5. arkie6

arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

Are you going to have a return plenum or just use the entire room as your return plenum? Is this in a basement?

6. Cadman

Cadman New Member

I may just leave the return open, the noise isn't bad. The house itself is one large open volume (18' ceiling) with a balcony-living space upstairs and an enclosed bedroom with electric baseboard heat. In the winter, we divide off half the downstairs (the portion under the loft/bedroom) so we only need to heat that. Now I can fully make use of the space, year-round.

7. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Looked good right up until the pvc made its debut. Pvc is not rated for the potential expansion and contraction your loop may see. Time will tell.
    Cheers!
    Eric

8. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Refrigerant oil will also destroy PVC if the heat exchanger ever leaks. I use copper and hdpe only.

9. Cadman

Cadman New Member

A requisite concession, unfortunately. But I also consider this a bit of an experiment and the PVC is easily fixed/replaced should something go south.

waterpirate likes this.
  10. Cadman

Cadman New Member

Alright guys, satisfied? ; )
    copper.jpg

waterpirate likes this.
  11. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Can't go wrong with copper!

Cadman likes this.
  12. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader