North Carolina Desuperheater to provide all hot water needs?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jsncrso, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Jsncrso

Jsncrso New Member

Hi all, I’m right on the coast of Nc and looking to replace my air source heat pump with a ground source heat pump. My question is, is there any unit (multi-stage, etc) that can supply all of my domestic hot water needs? Essentially I want my water heater to be able to call for heat just like my thermostat can. The units I’ve looked at so far offer it as an auxiallry option, but I want the heat pump to provide water heating independently to heating/cooling my home.

2. Jsncrso

Jsncrso New Member

I forgot to mention this would be year round so In heating/cooling/shoulder seasons

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

There are combination units that can switch between water to air & water to water. Those units do have limitations, can't do both at the same time (Unless you get one from an obscure manufacturer (Hydro Temp)

1) Get a heat pump hot water heater for DHW and a water to air heat pump.

2) Get a water to air and a separate water to water for DHW.

3) I believe ClimateMaster is still making the Trilogy 45 Q-Mode packaged unit.

4. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

If it's for 1 occupant sure.

5. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

4) Water to water heat pump, send warm water to air handler for heat and cool water for a/c. Separate storage/indirect tank for DHW.

Desuperheater will not supply much of any hot water during shoulder seasons. Even for 1 occupant...

6. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

How would you do this in the spring and fall, when the heatpump is not running? DSH operation is dependent on heat pump operation. But even in the middle of the summer or winter, they don't do 100%, not even for 1 person.

7. docjenser

8. Jsncrso

Jsncrso New Member

That's why I was asking if there was a GSHP that could supply hot water independently of whether or not my house needed heating or cooling (as in running the condenser solely to heat the desuperheater). I would love a standard heat pump water heater, but unfortunately I don't have the space for one anywhere. I appreciate everyone's replies

9. docjenser