Desuperheater pump bad can I eliminate it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Zole2112, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Zole2112

Zole2112 New Member

I have a Climatemaster Tranquility 27, I bought this house recently and am new to geothermal. I have a hybrid water heater and I think that the desuperheater is used only to supply that. My AC hasn't worked and I just had a guy look at it and he says my txv is bad, the desuperheater pump and sensor are bad, quote is coming. If the cost is too high I was thinking I could eliminate the desuperheater and replace the water heater with an electric unit. Since I'm new to this I was wondering if I could do that.

Thank you,

Andy

2. SShaw

SShaw Member

Yes, you can eliminate or turn-off the desuperheater if you decide it's too costly to repair. I'm not really sure what you are asking though. The desuperheater should not impact the operation of your water heater, other than lowering operating costs by pre-heating the water. Unless the hybrid water heater is broken also, why would you think about replacing it, especially with an electric one, which will be far less efficient?

3. Zole2112

Zole2112 New Member

Thank you for the info! I'm only asking because I am new and learning the system. The repair dude I called is sending me a quote to replace the desuperheater pump and as you said the hybrid water heater is working fine so I didn't see the point but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I was concerned primarily with the cost and I get it with the electric water heater being more costly to operate.

So it sounds to me then that the only issue with the AC not working is the TXV and I can leave the desuperheater and sensor as is or as you mentioned just turn it off.

That's awesome! I appreciate the help you gave me I understand the system a lot better now.

4. SShaw

SShaw Member

If you decide never to use the DSH again there are some things to think about.
    I'd disconnect power to the pump and disable it in any system setup. There's usually a jumper on a control board or a switch on the unit for power.
    If your DSH was plumbed directly to the WH (rather than through a buffer tank) then make sure the installer didn't disable any of the elements in the WH.
    I'd probably consider disconnecting the DSH plumbing, so you don't have water just sitting in the lines and pump.

5. Zole2112

Zole2112 New Member

Will do, thank you! I'll look at it when I get home, I'm 99% sure there is no buffer tank unless it's well hidden lol. The guy quoting the repair installed the system so he should know what to do.

6. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

I believe there was a stretch of time where TXV problems were addressed with an oil additive instead of valve replacement. You may want to search "climatemaster txv problems"

Zole2112 likes this.
  7. Zole2112

Zole2112 New Member

Thank you I will be doing that. The guy just quoted me $800 for the TXV and $600 for the DSH, that's a bit insane lol.