New York Desuperheater Disconnect ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AZ, Jul 23, 2018.

1. AZ

AZ New Member

Newie here hope this is in the correct forum.

I have two 15 year old 5 ton Water Furnace water to water units with desuperheaters. They are connected to a 30 gal. tempering tank in front of the 40 gal. electric water heater. It has worked fine until yesterday when the temper tank started leaking. I was searching thru the forum for more info about the desuperheater as I have a basic knowledge of the end result of it but not how it really works. I question if it is needed for my application and how to disconnect it if not needed.
    We regularly go away for long periods during the heating season and turn off the house water (not the water to the geos). Is it really worth buying a new $400 tank and installing (plumbing nightmare) since it seems we are wasting most of the water made with the desuperheater? We only run 1 unit for AC and that doesn't run much.

If it is not worth running them, can I simply disconnect the wires to each units circulating pump? What happens to the water inside the unit?

Thank You

2. nc73

nc73 Member

I would disconnect the wires to the circ pump and remove the plumbing. If the pumps are controlled by the WF, I'd disable it there as well. For now just disable the pump.

3. AZ

AZ New Member

It is just wired so the pump runs when the unit runs. It is wired thru (what I assume is a temp. limit switch) in line of the pump.

4. nc73

nc73 Member

Mine was setup that way when I had a cheap HP. Just disconnect the pipes and pump. Leaving the water there won't hurt if you're not going to remove the plumbing.