Dairies

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Applications' started by AgEfficiency, Aug 14, 2015.

1. AgEfficiency

AgEfficiency New Member

I'm new to this forum but impressed by some of the expertise apparent in the posts.

I'm looking for any examples of an existing geo-exchange system in a dairy. Many reports can be found that identify the opportunities and I have personally worked on some preliminary case studies. Scouring the internet has turned up no results other than some interest at a high-tech dairy lab in Tennessee (MTSU).

I help manage an energy grant program that can fund much of the cost of a new GHP system in a Colorado dairy, but it's hard to find someone who wants to be part of the first trial, especially in the highly regulated dairy industry.

2. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Try Major Geothermal...they are in Colorado

3. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Disclaimer, I am a salt water pirate and not much on farming or AG pursuits. I looked into getting geothermal into our local poultry industry and found out a little bit more than I ever wanted to know about poultry. Depending on the application here is a initial thought. Geo is a marathon runner comfort provider. It likes slow and steady as opposed to fast and immediate. If the building is nice and toasty and you open the barn door, it will take a long time to recover to the previous level of comfort. Just a thought.
    Eric

4. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I am not sure what the application would do for the cows. Are we keeping them comfortable? Are we trying to refrigerate product?

I have put radiant panels just about every where, but a dairy parlor. With radiant panel heating opening the doors is not an issue.

Mark

5. AgEfficiency

AgEfficiency New Member

Thanks Dewayne. I work closely with Joel Poppert at Major Geothermal. Do you know if he is a member of this forum?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  6. AgEfficiency

AgEfficiency New Member

@waterpirate @Mark Custis The primary need that would be served by the GHP is process heating and cooling. Space heating and cooling in the milking parlor would only be for the dairy workers in the pit. The cows would not need or care about the parlor climate. Conceptually, dairies are an excellent fit for GHP because process heat requirements are extremely energy intensive and 24/7/365. Milk must be cooled from 102 F to 38 F and 180 F water must be produced continually for sanitation (typically about 1 gallon hot water for 5 gallons milk; 8 gallons milk/cow/day). GHP typically can't quite meet all the thermal loads in a dairy, but it can make a big contribution, with some supplemental heating and cooling to reach the temperature end points.
    GHP seems to be such a good fit for dairies that someone must have done it, but I haven't found them yet. I have money to give away to dairy operators for this application, but the operators and I are squeamish about being the first pilot project.

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

The 180* number is high for a heat pump, but the 38* is doable with care.

Some one needs to be first. I'll help.

Mark

8. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

This is common enough in my neck of the woods (using geo to chill milk). But I have a border separating us.

9. AgEfficiency

AgEfficiency New Member

@urthbuoy I don't see any issues with the border. Can you name some dairies with GHP?

10. urthbuoy

11. AgEfficiency

AgEfficiency New Member

12. urthbuoy

13. AgEfficiency

AgEfficiency New Member

Great idea. Thanks, Chris!

14. AgEfficiency

AgEfficiency New Member

@urthbuoy I spoke with Paul at BC Dairy. No leads there. He sent me back to you.

15. urthbuoy

The easiest answer for them to give is no...

Anyway, I can work with you off forum if that works. You can track me down through website (profile).