New York Corrosion pinholes

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Steve Toorongian, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Steve Toorongian

Steve Toorongian New Member

I have a relatively new Geo heat system ( < 5yrs old) which is already springing pinhole leaks in the expansion tank and showing significant corrosion at one of the valves which keeps the system filled. I am worried that at this rate the copper piping used extensively throughout the system will start to pinhole as well. The well water is pretty hard with significant iron right out of the ground but I am only using softened , hot water to fill. Is there anything else I can do? Perhaps a small ion-exchange tank on the inlet or would a sacrificial anode work if it was inline somewhere? Thanks!

2. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

Heat Pump Manufacturer and Model?

What is the pH of your well water?

Closed loop system? What do you mean by "one of the valves which keeps the system filled."? If you have a closed loop system, is the loop leaking and requiring frequent filling?

3. Steve Toorongian

Hi Sorry it took so long to reply. I was out of town. The Heat Pump is a Heat Controller Comfort-Aire HWWo6oB1C01CFC. The water inlet reducing valve I am speaking about is a B&G model 110192 "reducing valve" I believe it acts as a fill valve and equalizes pressure on the fill and pressure sides. The system is closed loop on the ground loop side and the heating side is radiant in the floor. I have never had to refill the system. I don't know if any air has been introduced due to the leak in the expansion tank.. There is a Taco 4900 series air separator in the radiant loop side which should be removing bubbles. I am very reluctant to purge and refill the radiant loops if I have to replace the tank since I've read that this introduces air and oxygen which can lead to corrosion and scale. If I can get away with some kind of epoxy patch on the expansion tank that would be my first choice. The fill water is about pH 6.0. Thanks for any suggestions

4. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

5. Steve Toorongian

Thanks for your reply. (Funny how the guy who needed a questionnaire filled out never bothered to reply) Anyway between your response and talking to a friend who has radiant heat it appears that these expansion tanks fail quite regularly. The one I have is an Extrol model made for radiant systems. So the valve you linked to allows me to isolate the expansion tank and even remove it if needed I guess. I already have a fill valve like this http://www.supplyhouse.com/Bell-Gossett-110192LF-FB-38-Pressure-Reducing-Valve-Lead-Free so where would this valve go? Downstream of the pressure reducing valve but before the tank and Taco bubble separator tee? I'm still kinda shocked that the water is corrosive enough to pinhole a tank that is less than 5 years old. Thanks!

6. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Cheap steel, full of impurities mixes well will water.

Mark