Maryland Coolent smell from furnace

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Freeman Dodsworth, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Freeman Dodsworth

Freeman Dodsworth New Member

Hi all, I'm new here, first post. I have a five year old geothermal system. I am starting to smell coolant (antifreeze) like smell from the vents in heat mode. I don't see any leaks in the closed loop system, but when I opened the furnace I did get some of the sweet smell but saw no leakage of any kind. Am I dealing with a failure in the refrigeration side of my system? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. We are in a blessed warm spell here in MD but it won't last forever!

Freeman
    Port Republic, MD

2. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

any idea if your loop has glycol for antifreeze? I has the smell you describe.

3. Freeman Dodsworth

That was one of the questions I should have asked in 2010 when they installed the system, but I did not have enough knowledge yet to do so. I see no leakage of any kind external to the closed loop, but I can't see inside the pump to see if there is a transfer occurring somewhere. I suspect the refrigeration side of the system, but don't know enough to troubleshoot that on my own (yet). It happened once yesterday (the smell) but has not occurred again. I cleaned the filter and ensured all of the maintenance things were up to date, but that is the extent of my expertise on the gshp. Thanks for your help!

Freeman

4. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

If loop fluid leaked into the refrigerant circuit the heat pump would not work and then it would have to leak out of the refrigerant circuit into the atmosphere for you to smell it. Not likely to happen.

It is more likely, IF you ARE smelling loop fluid, that it is leak in the loop piping or coax in the unit. Insulation may be absorbing it or hiding it or you are smelling something else.

Did you come home earlier than expected Saturday night and the babysitter dumped her Southern Comfort down a floor register?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Palace GeoThermal and Stickman like this.
  5. Freeman Dodsworth

Well, that would have explained it! But no, nothing like that. No smell today so maybe it was a transient. I will dig further if I smell it again. Thank you all!

6. James Myers

James Myers New Member

Its all Depend on where your system is located and whats all in the same room, sometimes gas can seem to smell.