Control for Dual Fuel Domestic

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by urthbuoy, Feb 24, 2016.

1. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Do you guys know of a dual fuel control for a domestic setup? A client is looking at a propane and electric tank and we're looking at controlling what one is the fuel of choice based on rates. I can do this with relays, switches, and diverting valves but a control would be a nicer product in the end.

2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

DualFuelControl.jpg
    I couldn't help myself!

3. urthbuoy

Yep. But I never leave clients with any sort of mechanical valve they have to remember to seasonally change (or in this manner). They end up selling the house and the next person doesn't have a clue and things get wrecked.

I'll likely just use a switch off the electric hot water 240V followed by a relay that sends 24V to the propane when the aforementioned switch is open. And some motorized zone valves.

4. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

The biggest burden will be on the end user current or future who has to calculate and decide if and when to switch.

You also run the risk of the next "tech" who has to figure it out should an issue arise. Manual on/off switches are self explanatory and a well labeled manual valve removes all doubt.

In reality, a clueless HO or tech for that matter is going to start flipping stuff only when they don't have hot water.

5. urthbuoy

This is off my original topic, but

The biggest burden will be on the end user current or future who has to calculate and decide if and when to switch.

Not my burden. It's what the client wants. Propane fluctuates enough it is an issue they consider worth preparing for.

You also run the risk of the next "tech" who has to figure it out should an issue arise. Manual on/off switches are self explanatory and a well labeled manual valve removes all doubt.

That is not exclusive to manual valves. A switch marked electric/propane is pretty simple as well.

In reality, a clueless HO or tech for that matter is going to start flipping stuff only when they don't have hot water.

Kids.

6. And, shouldn't that be able to be controlled by a geo tstat that recognizes dual fuel?

7. patvetzal

patvetzal New Member

For ten years we lived in a little house that was mainly heated by a wood fireplace tied into the duct for an electric heater. When it hit -20C for a few days the house would start to cool off and the electric furnace (5kw) would click in. The fans ran most of the time and the air at the registers was about 72-80. This gave us a cool bedroom, warm kitchen and toasty living room with the fireplace.
    Then we rented it out......Tennants found 72-80 degree air felt cool so they covered all the registers in the bedroom area. suddenly it was 58 degrees down there,

8. I'm new here but when I was researching dual fuel with the nest thermostat somehow it supports 3 stage heat 2 stage cooling and 2 aux heat and 2 aux cooling can't you simply connect one or the other to aux or 2 stage then manually flip that swich with the thermostat? And benifit from if one fails the other kicks on?

Sorry if this is more of a question than an answer.

Sorry, your talking hot watter, maybe connect the tanks together and just turn down the temperature of the one your not using?

Can you connect a hvac thermostat to hot water heaters?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  9. urthbuoy

Duel fuel domestic (potable water) system.

David Knowlton likes this.
  10. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Get out of the box and find a gas appliance not controlled by an immersion element.