Compressor & pump operating cost.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by the blur, Oct 30, 2015.

1. the blur

the blur Member

I'm trying to grasp the savings of geo. You're still running a compressor & ground pump. So I foresee a substantial increase in electric usage. Just how much do your electric bills go up ?? Is there a percentage ?

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Compared to?

3. the blur

the blur Member

Compared to burning oil, or natural gas. With geo, your now running a compressor year round.

4. heatoldhome

heatoldhome Geo Student Forum Leader

The difference is the efficiency of geothermal can be 300-500% better them the cost of heating with traditional electric heat.

With some math you can figure it all out based on your utility rates.

5. Stickman

Stickman Active Member Forum Leader

A good thing to know your electric consumption prior to the geo install and observe the increase in kwh used. Compare that to what you spent on your previous type of fuel.

6. the blur

the blur Member

We were burning about 1000 gallons of oil annually. This will be our 1st season with geo.

7. Stickman

As was I. The electric bill will jump up significantly, but you won't get that oil bill either. You're on Long Island? If so, you may want to check with PSEG that they have you on heat pump rates. The cost per kwh is less in the winter.

8. the blur

the blur Member

Did you calculate the savings against oil? and air source A/C condenser usage ?

9. Stickman

My heating bill dropped by 33% when comparing geo vs. oil. I didn't have central AC, but my summer usage decreased slightly. Understand that now my whole house is conditioned as opposed to select rooms.

10. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I went geo in my personal home when oil hit 3.85 a gallon. I also had no central ac prior to geo install. Winter went down by 50%, summer went up to ac the whole house, not just select rooms. Yearly money spent went down by 40% total.
    Eric

11. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

If it is about comfort call me. If you need to know how much it costs to own the boat, you can not afford it own it.

waterpirate likes this.