Cold spell here I want to turn off desuperheater.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SolarPower, Jan 30, 2019.

1. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I would like to turn off my Climatemaster tranquility 30 3-ton desuperheater.

I know dip switch 4 turns off the pump. I did set the thermostat to off and flipped the dip switch.

It appears that I needed to turn the power off the unit first because the water is still over 90 going into my hot water tank. I will cycle the power to it today.

Do I need do anything else? I have check valves in the hot water loop so it seems like flipping the dip switch (turn the pump off) should be enough.

When it warms backup, I will enable it again.

2. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

just turning off power to the pump will do

3. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Why do you want to turn off the desuperheater?

Yes, your unit has more capacity now (10%), but you also need to heat up your domestic hot water 100% with electricity, instead running your aux heat.

Your house and hot water together need a certain amount of energy during those cold spans, and the heatpump takes care of that up to its capacity. Turning off your hot water heater is just shifting more electric heat from the heat pump to the hot water tank. Not much gain. You move your money from the right pocket to the left pocket.

4. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

My hot water is a tankless natural gas heater Takagi T-H3-DV with 0.95 energy factor.

It is very efficient. I don’t have aux heat strips so I would like that extra 10% heat in the house.

It will only need to be off for a couple weeks to get past this cold weather.

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

So you have gas as secondary hot water heat. That changes things.

All you have to do is turn off the pump. Some siphoning might occur but it will be insignificant.

6. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

It is kind of interesting that last couple days it was cold at night.

I checked the water temp into my hot water tank and it was 90 degrees.

I have Rheem marathon water heater that is my unpowered buffer tank.

I plumed it so the bottom of the tank to go into input of the desuperheater.

We must be getting natural water flow or siphoning through the desuperheater from cold to hot.

I did not expect that with the pump not running.