Michigan Climatemaster TMW060 not running this season

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jrj, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jrj

jrj New Member

Open loop, radiant floor. Ran perfectly for two seasons. Ran fine first time this season. Now, goes directly to Fault Retry (slow flash) as soon as heat is called for.... even before compressor runs or valve opens. Fault code is high pressure lockout code 2. Turning off call for heat goes back to solid green light/normal.

I am able to get it running by resetting breaker, going into test mode, and calling for heat. Runs fine, goes out of test mode in 20 minutes , and runs fine for hours until I turn it off.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Check your load flows/pump. What is controlling buffer tank temperature?

jrj likes this.
  3. jrj

jrj New Member

Thanks for the response! I do not have a buffer tank.

4. urthbuoy

Then a 1-zone system? Return load water may be too hot and unit locked out with the high pressure fault code in memory?

5. jrj

jrj New Member

Local Climatemaster authorized repairman suggested I clean out the source high pressure switches, and it worked!

6. urthbuoy

? How do you clean out switches ?

[​IMG]

7. jrj

jrj New Member

actually, I cleaned out the port the switch attaches to.

8. Bergy

Bergy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

No buffer tank?? How many GPM is flowing with the smallest zone calling? What size is the unit?

9. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

My money is on stuff growing in the water.

Mark

10. jrj

jrj New Member

Thought I had it fixed, but no. Still having issues with geo not starting due to HP fault code#2 happening as soon as heat is called for. I just discovered that if I relieve the source water pressure by turning it off and draining, the unit starts right up. I assume the geo source water high pressure switch is thinking there's too much pressure? Well Pressure gauge shows just over 60. Should this be turned down or do I have a bad high pressure switch in the geo? Thanks!

11. urthbuoy

No. The pressure switches are refrigerant pressures - and they actually measure temperatures and associate them with pressures.

But, I have no idea why relieving source water pressure allows you to restart your unit. Think flows.

12. jrj

jrj New Member

Thanks for the reply! But if you are correct, I am confused by my schematic showing high pressure water switches in line with the HP switch.

upload_2014-10-17_13-45-55.png

13. urthbuoy

O.K. I learned something. The CM units do have a 145psi HPWS. So it may just be faulty or you have very high pressures.

14. jrj

jrj New Member

Interesting...in my research I never found that anywhere. Thank you for the info! I don't think I have very high pressure since my water well gauge is reading 60. I bet it is a faulty switch.

Thanks again for working with me on this. Next time it faults, I think I'll test to see which one is open and purchase another one.

I wonder what are the chances of my well pump ever delivering over 145 psi?! Wouldn't my water lines possibly burst if that happens and I would have more trouble than just the geo not working? The reason I ask (and I think I know your answer) is why couldn't I just bypass the bad HPWS? Probably something about this safety feature I don't know about, I'm sure. But, from your experience, it appears most geo's don't have this type of safety switch?

15. urthbuoy

I haven't thought about it too much. Heat pumps don't care at all about pressure. They only care about flow (and temps). Maybe a water hammer issue?

16. jrj

jrj New Member

My local Climatemaster authorized repairman confirmed with Climatemaster that the HPWS on the source coil is meant for commercial use, and can be bypassed in a residential situation and that Climatemaster is considering removing them in the future.

17. urthbuoy

That is what I would do if I had one myself, but not necessarily what I'd say over a public forum:)

18. jrj

jrj New Member

Bypassed all but the refrigerant switch, and all works fine. Thanks to all who replied!