Climatemaster has refrigerant leak - fix or replace

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Michael Seifert, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Michael Seifert

Michael Seifert New Member

I have a ClimateMaster Tranquility TMW 060 (5 ton) which I ordered in Dec 2009. It has a refrigerant leak which was not fixed by adding gunk (to hopefully plug the leak). I am being told that the repair for this problem will be very expensive and that replacing the unit is probably a better choice (I have been waiting over 2 weeks for a quote on my different options - hoping that Climatemaster will give me a break on a new unit).

Since time is passing quickly and winter looms, I would love to know what you would do. I have a closed ground loop and the system is a water to water exchange (floor hydronics). I use the system to heat for domestic hot water but not using the internal DHW feature of the Climatemaster (I have a 50 gallon holding tank as part of my hydronic heating system which does a water to water preheat of my domestic hot water).

Some issues I am grappling with:
    • If I replace the unit, should I stick with Climatemaster? If not, what better choices are out there? Obviously my experience with Climatemaster is soured losing my unit in less than 10 years.
    • If I replace an 9 year old unit will my existing loop theoretically have continued longevity and last for many more years. The last thing I need is to install a new unit and then discover a couple years down the road that ground loops have a limited lifespan as well.
    • I of course would love increased efficiency if I am getting a new unit. In the last 10 years, have there been any really significant changes to the technology? What COP can I hope for with current units?
    • Obviously getting the quote will help in the decision process, but I am hesitant to throw thousands at fixing an old unit.
    The company which installed my original unit no longer exists and I live in a small town in the Idaho Panhandle where expertise is basically nonexistent - so getting advice is difficult.

Thanks for any input.

2. nc73

nc73 Member

Fix it. Do you even know where the leak is? The unit is not even that old. It's suppose to last much longer.

I had a climatemaster on order many months ago and they lost my unit after it was built. I waited over 2 months. Ingram Water and Air did not handle the situation well either. Order somewhere else and had it expedited. 600 cheaper and had it was delivered 2 weeks later. Staying away from the brand and the reseller.

3. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I guess you get what you are paying for.....;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  4. Michael Seifert

The repair quote says Shell & Tube Coax Coil $5,558

There are no local Climatemaster dealers and these guys have been servicing for me. They propose to replace with a Carrier for $9,047.

I am setting up quotes for a Climatemaster (same model) from companies 90 minutes away and willing to do the install. Based on what I've read Carrier's warranty was only 5 years on compressor and a year on everything else with a water to water system. Looks like I can get a Climatemaster 10 year extended for a new system. I'm hesitant to spend $5k to repair especially with the Federal 30% rebate on new models (my understanding is this rebate is still available - correct?)

Any thoughts?

5. docjenser

9 year old unit, I would get a new one with a new warranty. Not sure if I would have continuous trust in climate master. Yes, the federal tax credit is still there.

6. Michael Seifert

I just discovered they changed their TMW series to TBW. The COP stays at 3.10 at 104 degrees indoor and 32 degrees outdoor. Seems like they could have improved the efficiency over the years but hopefully they've made some improvements. I'll report back when I get my quotes (presumably for the TBW060)

7. Eric Kurtz

Eric Kurtz New Member

Check into q Q energy brand. Small company out of Wisconsin.

8. Michael Seifert

Q Energy looks like a good unit with excellent warranty. Their distribution network is thin, to say the least. I chose to go with the Climatemaster TBW. The new TBW is more corrosion resistant than their old model and I go a 10 year parts and labor warranty. Staying with the same manufacturer insures a pretty seamless replacement and hopefully saved a few dollars on the quote.

9. nc73

nc73 Member

Well I went with Miami HP, again. Got it running but the delta between the supply and return is a bit low at 16F in 1st stage and 17F in 2nd stage. The first one I bought from them years ago had a delta of around 25F. It is currently open loop with ewt of 59 and lwt of 50. Might have to break out the gauges to check pressures. It's too bad Climatemaster screwed me over.

10. docjenser

A large delta T is not the fault of the heat pump or the manufacturer, it is a lack of specified flow.

11. nc73

nc73 Member

No I meant air at return vs supply. It was around 14. I found a leak at the evaporator and topped it up and getting a difference of 30 now. Nice and toasty! Now I just have to wait for a replacement heat pump. Sigh.