Delaware ClimateMaster Certified Contrator? Or Does it Really Matter?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by malatu, Dec 12, 2017.

1. malatu

malatu New Member

The company who installed two ClimateMaster units for me two years ago are no longer in business. I need one of the units serviced (low air discharge temp). Can any good tech service the units or should I use one listed at the ClimateMaster's website? And would my selection of contractor impact any warranty work?

Only one of the contractors listed at ClimateMaster's website is one of their "GeoElite" contractors and they are 70 miles away. Not really an option. All the others don't have this certification. Also, the one that's out of business for over a year is still listed!

A GeoElite dealer on their website is defined as: ClimateMaster GeoElite® Dealers are independent dealers who have experience installing ClimateMaster units and are trained, certified and selected by independent distributors of ClimateMaster products.

So the other dealers listed on Climatemaster's website are not listed as GeoElite. Does that mean they have little experience in installing ClimateMaster units and are not certified to work on ClimateMaster products?

I want to make a good choice and have a long and hopefully infrequent relationship with my new contractor. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

No, it doesn't really matter. A good contractor will be a good contractor.

3. malatu

malatu New Member

Thanks,...I guess I was over thinking things.

4. IronOak

IronOak New Member

A different (consumer) perceptive---I think this not-too-infrequent situation most certainly deserves more than a 1-liner!

Although I do somewhat share the same sentiment that “a good contractor will be a good contractor”, that statement by itself in this situation is a bit idealistic and fails to address the bigger question. Especially when it comes to being officially or unofficially authorized or even technically proficient to PM/service or repair these Systems and/or perform (and acquire OEM parts for) Warranty work throughout North America.

So, making sure that whoever touches your System, does not adversely affect or void your current warranty, or possibly hamper any future legal recourse you might have is, well, critical! I would at least (in the absence of authorized/certified service provider(s)) make an effort to get something in writing from the manufacturer/distributor for individual cases-----that, they do sanction and support using other “HVAC contractors” and will honor legitimate warranty claims regardless of contractor used for either installation, service or the Warranty work.

Manufacturers and distributors have a joint (QC – product reliability & longevity) responsibility to provide and maintain an accessible and reliable installation and service network for their products! Those that don’t (or hide behind vague warranty wording) need to be highlighted so consumers can make informed buying decisions.

Warm Regards,

IronOak

5. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Sort of. All manufacturers have a vested interest in getting their parts in installers hands. I may have a quicker distribution network with Waterfurnace than Bosch as example, but I can still get the parts. Nobody has ever asked me for my credentials. Mostly because they can quickly tell if you know what you are talking about over the phone.

But let us be clear. I am talking about those that work with geo to begin with. I'm not talking about "Joe's plumbing" swinging by to do the work.

6. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

A good contractor knows what to do not to void warranty. Otherwise he would not be a good contractor. It is kind of self implying. The point is that it does not have to be a "elite" dealer. That usually means you are installing or selling a certain volume of heat pumps. Same with Waterfurnace Geo Pro.

7. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hi and welcome!
    Just noticed you are from Delaware! If there is anything I can do to help, PM me or post here.
    Eric