Pennsylvania Climate Master Performance Differences

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Pidutti, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Daniel Pidutti

Daniel Pidutti New Member

Hi All, I have just installed two new CM 3ton systems. One is a TE038 the other is a TES038, I also have an older 4 ton CM Tranquility 22. My question relates to the performance difference between the TE038 and the TES038. For some reason, the TE038 is doing a better job when the TES038 when I compare EAT vs LAT in both stage 1 and stage 2. For example, the TE038 is giving me a consistent 26-degree increase (69 EAT, 95 LAT) when I measure at the unit, whereas the TES038 can only manage a 20-degree increase (71 EAT, 91 LAT). All measurements are taken with the same equipment over the course of several days. All units are on the same closed loop. The only major difference is that TES038 air handler is in the attic, and the TE038 is in the basement. The EWT/LWT is 41.5/35 for the TOS038 and 40.7/33.7 for the TE038. Does anyone have any idea why the TES038 isn't doing as well as the TE038? 20190128_081724.jpg 20190128_081322.jpg

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

That could be your 4*-6*F difference right there.

I have read about people building an insulated room around their air handler when it's not within the insulated envelope of the house.

waterpirate likes this.
  3. Daniel Pidutti

That's what I thought but I measured the EAT/LAT of the TES038 throughout the day and when the attic was the same temperature as the basement (55 degrees) the TES038 still only increased air temps by 20 degrees, whereas the TE038 increased it by 26 degrees. So that can't be it.

4. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

With a split unit, compressor in basement and air handler in the attic, the long line set could be causing a drop in refrigerant temps up to air handler.

91*F is not bad.

5. Daniel Pidutti

Thanks. Is there a way to measure that drop?

6. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

A packaged unit will always do better than a split. The spec catalogs say at full heating capacity under your approximate conditions the TE038 has 2,600 btu more capacity. The TE038 has 2.9f increase in LAT than the TES038 at the same CFM output.

That explains some of the difference you see. The rest could be a difference in fan speeds and lost efficiency in the lineset.

7. Daniel Pidutti

Thanks for the info. I know the fan speed is set identically on both units, so I am assuming that the lineset explains the rest of it and I also assume there is nothing I can do to minimize that. I guess I will have to figure out how to maximize the EAT as there seems to be a 2-3* drop in the return temp prior to it hitting the air handler.