Carrier Staging Question

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Interested1204, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Interested1204

Interested1204 New Member

Would anyone be able to help me understand carrier staging, and possibly tweak the settings. Our house is an ICF house, with a 3 ton Carrier infinity geo unit. It seems in heat mode to favor stage 2 instead of gradually raising the temp, making for complaints from the family. I can gather temperatures/runtimes etc to help sort it out, but I don't see anything in the thermostat related to staging decisions. The contractor tells me that if I switch to a standard thermostat I'll loose "all the smart features" but he isn't able to articulate what those are.

2. xSpecBx

xSpecBx Member

Is it favoring stage 2 when you are changing temperatures or trying to maintain a consistent temperature?

3. Interested1204

I waited for a relatively cool day, (around freezing all day) to test my assumptions. Our schedule is 68 during the day (from 7:15a to 7pm), then 66 at night (7p to 7:15a). We pretty much stayed in all day. In the attached image for staging, Off = 55, Stage 1 = 60, Stage 2 = 65.

Attached Files:

4. SShaw

SShaw Active Member Forum Leader

It looks like the unit is either OFF or on Stage2.
    Switching from OFF to Stage2 at 7:15 AM could possibly be explained by the 2-degree change in programmed set point. Later in the day, it seems Stage1 should be activated.
    I have no information on what unit you have or whether the thermostat is conventional or communicating, so all I would say is check to make sure the thermostat is wired correctly for two-stage operation and that the unit and/or thermostat is configured properly for two-stage operation.

5. Interested1204

You are correct! My apologies. Its the Carrier Infinity Geo 3 ton, GC036HELNDET1XX1, with the Carrier communicating thermostat - SYSTXCCITC01-B. Its currently set to heat only. I thought that this thermostat would try to get ahead of the change in temp, meaning if you set 7:15 up two degrees that it would start around 6:30 in stage one to BE at temp at 7:15, is that not the case? Wish there was a way I could set it to 3 degrees to bump up a stage.