Can you install horizontal ground loops in winter?

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by johnny1720, Dec 26, 2011.

1. johnny1720

johnny1720 Member

Can you install horizontal ground loops in the winter? I have a contractor that will do the install when ever I want. I was curious if this is a good idea or not? The ground is not frozen here and we have zero snow.

I have used 125 gallons of fuel oil and 1 ton of pellets. I called to get quote on fuel oil and they said it would be $3.79 per gallon. So if I wait till my tank is almost empty or empty it will cost me $947 + 3% tax. I usually burn through at least 800 gallons of fuel oil each season.

I can get by for a few days with out having my furnace in place as I have a pellet stove and a few electric heaters.

What do you think?

2. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

We have done it.

3. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Sounds very familiar....:D

4. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Same here.
    Familiar story is the customers heating plant got DQ'd on Monday, loop Tuesday, hook up Wednesday, Praying for good weather.
    Eric

5. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

All Weather driller

We just finished up drilling and tie-in yesterday on a closed loop system. Heater is being installed today.
    This was in NJ with temperature in the 40's.

6. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

sorry
    i just noticed it said horizontal

7. johnny1720

johnny1720 Member

Excellent, I am scheduled for home energy audit either Saturday or Monday. The auditor said he will do the manual j then turn it over to the installer. I am really pumped to get this show on the road.

Is there anything specific I should ask the home energy auditor.