New York Can someone explain the system status page for my Climatemaster pump?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BlueWRXPride, Jan 12, 2015.

1. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride New Member

I have a new construction house and have been there for about 2 months. I have a ClimateMaster Tranquility and am still learning about all its details. I like to look at the system status page, but don't understand what all the stats represent. Entering/leaving water is obvious, but others not so much. Can someone explain to me what they all mean and what their significance is?

I'm also a little concerned something isn't quite right. I had the temp set to 68 degrees, but it seemed like the system couldn't reach it and only got to 67. As far as I could tell, the system never turned off as it tried to reach 68. If I set it back down to 67, then it would turn off as it reached the target. Do any of the numbers here seem suspect?

I'm at 43 deg latitude.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I thought I took big photos.

3. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride New Member

Sorry about that. Here's an update. It's -10 out this morning. Last night I set the thermostat to a constant 70 at 5pm. By the time I went to bed at 10:30, it was still at 67. By the time I got up this morning, it was 62 in the house. I took a picture of the system stats this morning. (And made the picture smaller) Anything seem out of wack?

I have 2 co workers who live in the same area, and have geothermal from the same installer with similar equipment, and both of their houses are a comfortable 71 and 72 degrees this morning.

Attached Files:

4. moey

moey Member

Do you know if your electric heat came on? It should have at -10F outside and kept the temp close to the setpoint. It looks like only the heatpump was running. Maybe? When you looked at the thermostat in the morning did it say "AUX HEAT". I have a Climatemaster tranquility 22 and it was -20F outside last night my auxiliary heat started to come on around 7PM last night. I have it programmed to come on if it cannot maintain temp for 2 hours.

Temps look a little low on the stats panel. Probably need to know more about your system to help more.

5. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride New Member

It did not, because I have it set to only come on in an emergency. I was under the impression that I really wouldn't ever have to rely on the electrical backup unless something was broken on my heat pump. And since my co-workers' systems are keeping up with the cold without any issues, I'm still not convinced that I should have to let the electric backup kick on. What else can I tell about the system? I have 4 trenches 5' deep, 125' long with a slinky config.

6. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride New Member

So they installer sent out their tech to take a look at the system. After 2 hrs of diagnosis, he determined that there is a bad valve that helps distribute the coolant. (I don't know any more, this was 2nd hand through my wife). Apparently he has to contact the factory to see how they want to handle this because it's not a part that is usually just stocked. And he said that until then, we will just have to use the electrical until they get the part. I have no idea how long this might take. I'm concerned about the cost of the electrical backup, do I have any grounds to get some kind of reimbursement from the installer or more likely the manufacturer since this is because of their defect which will cost me a lot to cover for?

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

It would be help full to know what is going on.

8. heatoldhome

heatoldhome Geo Student Forum Leader

Most manufacturers have a team of lawyer's that write the warranties. My best guess it they will not cover any of the extra electric (auxiliary )costs involved while you wait for parts.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  9. moey

moey Member

You may have some luck playing nicey nice asking for something. Or maybe get the part faster. You never know I doubt screaming and yelling will get you very far warranties usually don't cover lost wages incurred costs.

10. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

"do I have any grounds to get some kind of reimbursement from the installer or more likely the manufacturer since this is because of their defect which will cost me a lot to cover for?"
    No and it gets worse. Your warranty offers an allowance that the repair company may or may not accept as 100% payment. The warranty also excludes refrigerent, nitrogen, torch fuels and braze rods etc.
    This is one of the reasons we harp that installing contractor matters most. Most of us here accept whatever the manufacturer gives us as part of our service to our clients. Unfortunately that is not universal.

Before you do anything else, try running the unit in cool for a short time. Sometimes if there is a little something in the TXV (I'm guessing this is the part they are talking about). It can get jarred loose by reverse flow of the system. If it does, the filter drier is waiting to catch whatever it was. This can possibly be a permenant repair.

11. Tamar

Tamar Member Forum Leader

Blue, this is faulty thinking because your co-workers systems and houses (and windows, and soil content, and maybe system size) are different. I'm not an expert, just a homeowner. You may want to rethink your setup for those below zero days/nights.

12. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride New Member

I got more information, it is the thermal expansion valve that is bad. Does that still apply to your thought about running the system in cooling mode?

They called me back today saying the factory wanted them to try using some kind of lubricating oil to help out the valve. But they are still getting me a replacement probably within a week, so I'm happy with that response time.

13. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

TXV stands for Thermal Expansion Valve.

Chris