Missouri Can I use geothermal for less than 2 ton load

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JamesW84, Nov 16, 2020.

1. JamesW84

JamesW84 New Member

I sent the following to Ingram's Water And Air. I would like feedback here too, please:

I live in southwest Missouri (6000 HDD) in a 1650 sq ft (12500 cubic ft) earth-berm, which I plan to air seal to make it tighter. Right now it has 10.5 ACH50. The reason I say this is because I have an interest in using a geothermal heat pump (DIY), but I anticipate my heating loads to be a maximum of 11,000 BTU/hr (unofficially confirmed w/ online heat loss program, but it correlates with past 3 years of heating bills very closely). I'm not sure of my cooling load, but I know that I usually use about 200-400 Kwh/month May-September on my 40-year-old A/C.

I would prefer a unit with a variable speed compressor, but I have been unable to locate one that I can DIY. I was very interested in the Climatemaster TE30 w/ 2 stage 2 ton, but I feel that it will be too large (even on part-load stage 1). Is there a way to make it more usable for my situation or do you know of a better solution? Is there a smaller coil that could be installed at a reasonable cost to make it better work for me? If I ran it in dehumidification mode, would that be an alternative to A/C (60% Relative Humidity is not uncommon in the summer in the house, but I anticipate with air sealing that will be lower).

I like the idea of the TE30 because of the communication thermostat, which will tell me the specs and problem codes if there is a problem.

I would use the desuperheater. I own a backhoe, so I could do it all myself.

2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

You will not find staged geo units smaller than 2 tons. You may be better off with a small 1 ton single stage unit such as Waterfurnace Series 5 NSV012. Or go mini split.

3. gsmith22

gsmith22 Active Member Forum Leader

2 stage doesn't make any sense anyway because even the smallest 2 stage units will just be in stage 1 all the time. Variable speed units could work but they are typically minimum 3 tons so like the two stage unit, the variable speed unit will likely spend all of its time in 1 or 2 of the lowest speeds so you pay all that money for tech that doesn't get used. Its rare that this is the case, but as geoxne points out, a single stage unit is probably your best bet and more likely to be found in a 1 ton variety (which is apparently all you need anyway per heat loss).