Can a garage be built over a segment of a geothermal loop?

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Geostew227, May 20, 2016.

1. Geostew227

Geostew227 New Member

We would like to build a detached garage on our property. The best place to build it would be over a segment of the geothermal loop of our geothermal system. We have had the geothermal system for around six years. We would like to build a 24' x 30' garage with a concrete pad. The concrete pad would extend over a straight segment of the geothermal loop. The straight segment of the loop would run along about mid-way to two-thirds of the way toward the back of the garage. We would be parking our car and truck (ford f150) in the garage. The geothermal loop is a horizontal loop, over 400 ft long, buried around 5' - 6' in the ground. We live in Indiana, and have dense clay soil in our yard. Is it OK to build over top of a geothermal loop segment? Has anyone else ever done this?

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes. But it requires some foresight. Keep the footings away from any freeze/thaw basically.

3. Geostew227

Geostew227 New Member

I am not sure what you mean by "keep the footings away from any freeze/thaw". Would a floating slab w/ a thickened edge be OK, for "freeze/thaw"?

4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

The ground loop can run sub-freezing. Wet soils can freeze.

5. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I like to be at least a foot below frost line with my loops. If that is what happened have at it. Insulate to your wallet's ability. Use small digging machines.