best software program for geo?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DooRacer500, Jun 14, 2009.

1. DooRacer500

DooRacer500 Member

Looking to dilly dally around with designing some loops for fun/friends.

What program is everyone using to compare loops and associated geo equipment?

thanks in advance
    DooRacer500

2. GCI

GCI Member

3. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hmmm that's interesting your name is the same as the software you are endorsing:)

Most of the software I've seen uses the same information.
    I think the real answer to your question is check out the IGSHPA site to find a certified geo excavator in your area (you probably need one any way for fusion and flush and all). They will have a loop design that they favor in your area.
    Joe

4. GCI

GCI Member

Just thought I'd throw it out there. In my mind, it will be the best available on the market once it is finished. We've purchased every commercially available software package and haven't been 100% satisfied with any, so we made our own.

5. jrh

jrh Member

I am sure this software will be at least as good as any out there, but probably better.

Geoconnections correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt your companies founders author IGSHPAs Design and installation standards for closed loop systems(Joe no one is paying me to say this)

There are alot of people on this forum giving advice that they might not be qualified to give

Its probably fair to say that geoconnections is one of, if not the most qualified posters here, So let him try to sell his software

6. AMI Contracting

The :) at the end of my comment was intended to indicate a light hearted barb more than an actual criticism. Frankly I look forward to seeing it.
    More important was my suggestion to the author to find someone with local experience. To suggest that design software will answer all the questions of someone learning geo is folly. He'll need help and experience.
    J

7. GCI

GCI Member

Appreciate that JRH. Are you a past course attendee of ours?

I believe IGSHPA will be set to release the new manual within the next few weeks or so. We really hope that it serves its purpose in bringing so much of the important information scattered throughout the industry into one place.

The one great thing about this forum is the wealth of knowledge that comes from people from various parts of the country and with different backgrounds. :p

8. GCI

GCI Member

Too true. The success of any installation hinges on the quality & experience of the contractor.

The reason I made the post about Looplink is because I truly believe it will be head and shoulders above the rest. We began work on this project more than 5 years ago. Now, we have a great group of people working on it and are really excited about the way everything has turned out.

We will post a detailed overview of the software on the site by the beginning of next week. I'd really love it if anyone who visits it could give me some feedback. Our intention was to make the program as user-friendly as possible while giving contractors the ability to generate quick proposals as well as detailed (& professional looking) design reports. The only way we can really do that is through feedback (both good and bad) from all of you.

9. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

"countries"

10. GCI

GCI Member

Touche

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Strange, nobody actually answered the question.

12. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

There is no answer because

It is an impossible question.

There is no one way to skin a cat or any other mammal. Every hole is unique. Every piece of the pie is or is not bonded to the geo part.

The bonding can change daily, and it does.

The best one can hope for is a close balance in what the earth can transfer to the loop field, so that the loop does not overheat or over-cool. The needs are not much. Delta T of 8 to 12 cooling and 4 to 8 heating is all it takes.

jonr, when you show me your transporter beaming you up to the Enterprise, I will watch closely to see if all of you returns.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

So what software are people using? Or are there reasons not to disclose that?

14. AMI Contracting

I happen to use GeoDesign among others created by equipment manufacturers (CM in this case). Thing is it's free to dealers and not available to non-dealers as are the other products I have......so it is not a helpful contribution.
    However if author were to pair up with geo excavator as I suggested, he might find someone who not only knows what flaws the program has (disparities compared to local geology), but they might also have an old disc lying around.
    The thing is one of these discs without a little background and training can get you into a lot of trouble.
    J

15. Mark Custis

Trouble?

I just turn down the job if I do not think it will work. Jonr, there is no one answer on this and there will never be one answer.

Each system and loop field is unique.

16. cumbelec

cumbelec New Member

This program looks interesting. Is there going to be a facility to change to metric units, Different currencies and will we be able to input local weather and soil data?

17. cumbelec

cumbelec New Member

Sorry I was talking about looplink!

18. GCI

GCI Member

Actually, because the program will be web-based, we will be able to add weather data, update heat pump performance data, etc on our end, update our servers and allow all of our users to instantly have access to it.

Our first version will not have the ability to switch to SI units but that is one of the first features we intend to add. Again, because the program is web-based, any feature we add will be instantly accessible to our subscribers at the flip of a switch.

19. Mark Custis

Send me a demo

I am about to send $200 to Heat Controller